Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pumpkin is being gone thru. I know the housing should be Red Oxide Primer. Does anyone sell a spray can paint similiar in color?
Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great!! Thanks for the reply. I'll pick some up tomorrow.
Ken

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Good to know...I was wondering what the color should be. I've got a center section to paint that I just bought.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The Rustoleum rusty metal primer is pretty close.

If you are trying to be really anal be aware that the pumpkin should be a semi gloss - not a flat.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Its a driver so I'm not that anal, but good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
On the Krylon website the only primer I saw that even came close was ruddy brown.

Also, it was my understanding that red oxide is a type of primer, not just a color. Regular primers are porous in nature and will allow moisture to penetrate... which equals rust down the road, wheras red oxide is a kind of primer that is not porous, ie, it does not need to be topcoated. I may be mistaken. I only bring this up because a lot of effort may be taken to clean and detail something to look correct or close to correct, and by picking a product based on color alone you may end up making more work for yourself down the road.

I would go with Rustoleum instead of Krylon with that in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts