Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a 9" rear from a 57 ford in my 66 fstbk and was hoping to use the original backing plates and brakes but the 57 housing flange has a larger flange and wider bolt pattern and came with backing plates that measured 11" and were junk, Problem is finding the correct backing plates drums and brake parts. is this the only year that i can use as far as the brakes or do i have an option, I am to far into it now to change back as i have rebuilt the center section and installed new wheel bearings and had the housing dipped and powder coated. I wuold like to stay with 10" brakes if possible.
Thankyou, Kenn

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Lucky you.You have a large bearing '57 housing.They came in station wagons and ranchero's.If I remember correctly(it's been a long time since I used one of those),brakes from the later years big bearing housings will bolt up.Also,if it's the same as the small bearing '57 to '59 housing,the axle flange to housing stub dimension is 2.375 inches,as opposed to 2.5 inches as all of the later housings.However,there's about .060 to .080 distance between the shoe and the wall of the drum,and cutting approximately .050 more off on a brake lathe will give you the clearance you need.Early 60's station wagons should have the brakes you're looking for,but they aren't to be found just anywhere these days.To resolve this with the least amount of headache,take some careful measurements from the end of the housing to the axle flange.The easiest way is to measure from the end of the housing to the back of the axle flange and then add the thickness of the axle flange to that measurement.Then call Currie enterprises (I don't have their number handy but they're on the net and easy to find).They stock many different ford rear brake assemblies including backing plates and I'm certain they have what you need.One last thing,if you were using a small bearing housing(the one you have is quite rare),the brakes from your eight incher will bolt right up(just a reference in case you try this swap in the future).Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts