Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a fresh rebuilt 9" with a tru trac installed but it's for a 65 Ford truck it's really cheap because the guy need's the money. Is it a big job to make this fit my 66 Fastback? If it is, what 9" would be a direct swap? Thanks

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I found a fresh rebuilt 9" with a tru trac installed but it's for a 65 Ford truck it's really cheap because the guy need the money. Is it a big job to make this fit my 66 Fastback? If it is, what 9" would be a direct swap? Thanks

It's too wide and I believe the spring perches are in the wrong location. You'd have to have the axle shortened and add new spring perches. You're better off starting with a correct width axle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A 57 thru 59 Ford car is close to a direct swap. The drum, backing plate and axle lug pattern are different but you can use the ones off of your 8 inch. You'll also need the spring plate and U bolts from the 57-59 rear.

People use the Granada and Monarch rears but I don't know if they're exact or not.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If the complete assembly is a great deal, the center section will fit any 9" rear, tell the seller you can only use the center section and maybe get an even better price, especially if the gear ratio is what you want, then go looking for an assembly that fits your Mustang. You might be able to trade off what you can't use, and I am guessing that you will be able to use backing plates and drums. If it is rebuilt correctly and a good price you can't go wrong.

if you find a housing, some of the best axels made only cost about 300 PR You'll have to add bearings, retainer and fee to press them on..

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Also consider if it is a 28 spline or 31 spline differential, if you're going to buy it just for the 3rd member. Assuming you have a 8" (28 splines) and the differential is 31, you are going to need to get new axles as well. Not too big of a deal, just another cost factor (along with bearings/retainers/seals and maybe brake hardware while you're at it).

Chaz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 31 spline axle. I can get it for $200. I might just get it and get rid of it at the swap meet. He also has a Fat Man Fabrication stage 2 front end that is new still for the same price. May be sell those to pay for one ready to bolt in.

·
Registered
757 Posts
A 57 thru 59 Ford car is close to a direct swap. The drum, backing plate and axle lug pattern are different but you can use the ones off of your 8 inch. You'll also need the spring plate and U bolts from the 57-59 rear.

People use the Granada and Monarch rears but I don't know if they're exact or not.
Huh? I'm pretty sure the '57-'59 bolt pattern was 5x4.5. Or more accurately, this is the first time I've heard mentioned that it had a different bolt pattern than the Mustang. The axles I got with mine are 5x4.5. Curious to hear more about this.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The housing is a heavy duty housing that has far thicker axle tubes than a Mustang housing. I will not use a Mustang housing on any kind of car that will see performance useage as the perches usually rip at the housing. The Mustang housing is a light duty housing. You can narrow the truck housing.(I charge $150.00 at my shop to do it) at a shop that narrows housings, and buy the axles you need to fit your width. Also alot of information on that Kevinstang page is wrong, and it keeps getting spread on the internet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Huh? I'm pretty sure the '57-'59 bolt pattern was 5x4.5. Or more accurately, this is the first time I've heard mentioned that it had a different bolt pattern than the Mustang. The axles I got with mine are 5x4.5. Curious to hear more about this.
You are exactly right. I just went and checked the early Ford axles and they are the same. It's been awhile since I made the swap and I guess my memory was fuzzy. I hate to give out bad info so I'm glad that you corrected me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Really Cheap??? The center section is probably worth $300 - $350 alone, so if you can buy it for way less, it may be worth picking up anyways!

Just my .02 sense

1 - 12 of 12 Posts