Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9" rear end that came with a 65 fastback - not original rear end. The tag is missing and the following information is on the cherry: 1B8 35 COW DIF9 OK3 D. I think this is 3.50:1.

I measured backing plate to plate distance and it is 52". Will this fit in 65? I know Ford made 9" rear end for 65 and 66, but without a tag I have no idea which year car it came out of and if it needs to be shortened or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I agree with John, the width sounds correct. If it's a rearend housing from a 57-9 Ford, the axle tubes won't neck down, and are a slightly larger diameter than the 67+ housings. They fit just fine, but you'll need to elongate the holes in your lower shock mounting plate for the 'U' bolts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The housing does have a plug in the back, but the tubes do not taper down before the bearing race. The pumpkin also seems to be untouched - found 2 yellow dots and a 92 (I think) written on it. It is amazing what 40 years of mud and grease will preserve.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
I just went through this with my 9"
The one I have in the car is 52" between backing plates and 54 1/4" flange to flange. That fits 67-68. (Too wide for my 66)

For the 65-66, it needs to be 50" between backing plates and 52 1/4" flange to flange.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I ran a '67 9 inch housing in my '66 for a year, and with 6 inch rims it wasn't a problem. Now if your going to try to start planting some meat on the pavement, you're going to have to look at rims with some negative offset to bring the tire back under the fender.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts