Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace the pinion seal on a 9" without removing the carrier, I know it can be done but how would i adjust the bearing preload? I paid 300 to have the center rebuilt and after only 25 miles the thing is leaking and the shop gone after 30 years.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't know the answer to your specific question.
But have you ever taken one out? Its pretty simple.

I would almost venture to say its worth it... to have a good "view" on the table, as opposed to laying on your back.

I would liken it to .. taking the seats out, when you're working the wiring under the dash. Its a pay up front cost, but pays off during the job.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, you can replace the seal without removing the carrier. If you have an impact gun, remove the pinion nut, tap off the pinion yoke, replace the seal and reinstall everything. Just tighten the pinion nut with the impact and you'll be ok. No need to worry about preload again. Usually, you can hold the pinion with your hand while removing or tightening the nut. Also, while you have the pinion yoke off, be sure to inspect the area where the seal sits on it. If it started leaking that quick it could have a groove on it. If its too deep to polish out, then you should replace the yoke. One other thing, it may not be the seal. Check it very close because it could be coming out around the pinion nut. If thats the case, get a new pinion nut because most of them have a type of sealant on them. That should just about cover it.
JF

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Remind me never to let you work on my rear end. Tighten the pinion nut with an impact. If that rear end has a crush collar and not a solid collar you will collapes the crush collar and put to much preload on the bearings. I have set up over 200 9" Fords and have seen to many back yard mechanics destroy a good set of gears doing that. The pinion nut needs to be torqued to 175 Ft. Lb.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mod9,
No way will an impact collapse a crush sleeve. If that were the case, a long bar holding the pinion yoke wouldn't be needed to get the correct preload. I've taken numerous 9", 12 bolts, 10 bolts yokes off with an impact and replaced the seal and used the impact to reinstall with no problems at all. Oh, by the way, i've been doing rear ends for my cars including my race cars for over 30 years.
JF

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Most decent impacts will tqe to 450 ft/lbs. If you have the right touch, it can be done, but nobody could guarantee what the preload is. You've done it, and obviously had good luck. I've done it, and also lucked out. Somebody else here on the forum did it recently (can't remember who), and put a horrific howl in the rear. Let's just say it's not the recommended way to seat the nut on a crush sleeve. The proper method is outlined in any automotive repair manual.

Most of the folks here don't have the experience in working on rear ends that you have. There are a number of automotive things that I've been doing for the last 45 years that I sure wouldn't recommend to the uninitiated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Been there, done it

First time - No new crush sleeve, used impact - trashed bearing

Second time - New Crush sleeve, torqued to 175 lb/ft and no problems

Third time - No new crush sleeve, torqued to 175 lb/ft no problems

See a pattern here ???

·
Registered
178 Posts
You bet there's a pattern, no crush sleeve and tightening the nut will definitely crush the bearings.

Sure, most impacts will torque to 450 ft. lbs. but that is after hammering on a seated nut or bolt for a given length of time. If i install a "new" crush sleeve i always crush it to the proper preload for new or used bearings. Once the crush sleeve has been crushed, just re-tightening the pinion nut will not crush the sleeve any more (normally).

JF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts