Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
28 or 31 spline? Gear ratio?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
tmonte69 is a good man so I hope I can help/and unitedwestand you seem OK with me too.
If helpful I would bet that the rear has to be a 28 spline (unless that is an R code Ranchero).
Not looking to hijack a threat but if you need a trac loc 9 inch N case 31 spline let me know. I have the other generic too/8's/9's.
Want to put that intake toward a deal with my rear/but the rear I have is expensive!?
Best to you both.
Tony

·
Registered
921 Posts
Tony,

Thanks for the info. I thought you had forgotten aboutt me :eek:)

Actually, I have a 31-spline 3.50 TL chuck but no axles and axles are not easy or cheap to find. I was keeping my eye out for a 28-spline TL with decent gears. If the right deal comes along, I will dump by 31-spline chuck.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words Tony! I'm pretty sure it wasnt an R code and thus a 28 spline. I'll check that and gear ratio and post here.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tag is very rusty. I think this is what it says:

WEB-R 9AQ
3 00 09 S 839A

which means 3.00 gears and not traction lock best I can tell. It measures 54 1/4" from inside flange to inside flange. The 8" rear on my 67 coupe measures 54 1/8" so it should be a perfect fit for 67-8's. It measures 45 1/2 from the center of the spring perch to the center of the other spring perch. Also still has the snubber bracket attatched.

Any input is appreciated on decoding it. I'm not going to take it apart to find out if its 28 or 31 spline. Going to the auction site soon. Will also consider trades for 67 parts.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
If helpful 1967 to 1970 rears are the same length/so you have something in that vein. you don't have to pull anything apart to see if it is 28 spline/31 spline. I will bet it is a 28 spline though. If you were closer; your price is more than fair.
Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts