Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 9" traction-lok for my '68 convert. It will be a evening and weekend driver. I found that the ring gear for the 3:50's I was going to use had a broken tooth. I need a new gear-set. I've been told that OEM gears make less noise. Is that the case? Does anybody have any recommendations for after-
market? or are they all good?

I have a '92 AOD and a '89 5.0 that will be going in next winter. Any recommendations for ratios?

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
I'm running a Motive Gear set in my 9" that I got from NationalDrivetrain.com and it's smooth as silk /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I think I paid $230 including shipping with an overhaul kit.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Oh, reguarding the ratio, I'd opt for something in the 3.70 range. The latemodel guys all run 3.73's with the AOD tranny. The 3.50's are just a little much for the C4, but liveable. The AOD will make a significantly taller ratio acceptable on the freeway. Just as soon as I blow up this C4 I'm gettin' an AOD...

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

·
Registered
20,867 Posts
I honestly can't give you an answer on the noise issue, try calling Currie or Randy's ring and pinion on that. I know from reading in the 5.0 magazine, they recomend 3:73 or 4:10's with the AOD for best results. The AOD has a very high 1st gear. This puts them on par with 5 speed cars with 3:27 to 3:55 gears.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

G

·
0 Posts
Ive been told the OEM gears are far superior to the aftermark ones. The source was reliable

http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/199/26/31992601.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts