Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and looked at this car. It's a very straight car with nice bodywork done (not painted) . I noticed the vin that shows on the drivers side front was replaced. It had grind marks all around it. So, I asked him if he could pull one of the fenders so that I could look to verify the vin and he said he didn't have time right now. Well I called him tonight and said I would be into looking at the car again, but I wanted to pull the fender to verify the vin? Not too much to ask. He says that he has the door vin tag and the title and is not worried about the other vins. Told me he is not willing to pull a fender to check. I told him that I would not be interested then and hung up.

He is painting it and taking it to the big swap meet in Portland Oregon at the EXPO next month. He is likely to fix the vin grind marks, so anyone going there and is looking at the car, check the vins.

1965 ford mustang fastback 2+2.A-Code

·
Registered
288 Posts
You are right, that is a fair amount of money to drop on a "trust me" kind of thing. May not be a big deal, but you never know. By the way, thank you for using VIN and not VIN number. I know it's anal, but it drives me nuts when people say VIN number. What the hell does "N" stand for? I'm sure it's the same people who use "ATM machines" and "who could care less". Ok, I'm done as the grammar police and will switch to de-caff for the rest of the night...lol. Drives me up the wall. Ok, back to topic........

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Don't forget AC current and DC current!

If I was selling my car, I'd EXPECT someone to ask about VIN verification and would be ready to remove a fender.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm worried some poor person will end up buying this car and will get home to find out the car is a six cylinder. Just irritates me he would not even pull a fender to verify the vin? I guess he doesn't want to sell it bad enough...........at least to someone who wants to check it over.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was recently looking at a car and the owner had a plate with the VIN number :lol: that had been cut from somewhere on the car. I'm thinking it was about 3-4 inches long. It matched the dash VIN and the plate on the driver door, as well as the title, where would this have been cut from?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I was recently looking at a car and the owner had a plate with the VIN number :lol: that had been cut from somewhere on the car. I'm thinking it was about 3-4 inches long. It matched the dash VIN and the plate on the driver door, as well as the title, where would this have been cut from?
Three legal vins were printed under the hood on these cars. Two on the driver's side fender apron, about 2" apart. One is visible and the other is hidden by the fender when installed. On the passenger side, there is a similarly hidden VIN. With both fenders removed, all 3 are clearly visible.

What he was showing you is one of these that was removed during repair and not re-installed as it should have been.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
all the driver side vin's on 65-66 mustangs that i have seen including mine have one on the front fender apron that can be seen with the fendr on and the other is on the rear fender apron under the fender and unless i go downstairs and measure mine i will guess they are 18" apart.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Could be a replaced apron, but if that were the case I would pull the fender for $9000 sale. How bout them hot water heaters?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Anyways...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I could see being reluctant to remove a fender if it had been painted but this car is not painted yet. Should not be a big issue unless something is questionable. All may be legit, but it casts doubt. It becomes a bigger issue when the new owner tries to register it and the police ask for the removal and the hidden numbers match a reported stolen car. Then what?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It becomes a bigger issue when the new owner tries to register it and the police ask for the removal and the hidden numbers match a reported stolen car. Then what?

Bingo

John

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What he was showing you is one of these that was removed during repair and not re-installed as it should have been.[/QUOT

He didn't show me anything. I looked at it to see what code it was and noticed the grind marks around it. Then he seemed like I was making a big deal out of nothing and said he didn't have the time to take the fender off? Well when I called him last night to see about looking at the car again he seemed to think I was worried over nothing and told me very clearly that he would not be taking any fender off to check the vins. OH.....I forgot, he said he had one of the fenders off and was having the little dent in it fixed and I said then you should be able to see the hidden vin and he said he would not check it for me and that he had the door vin and title and that was enough. He is going to paint the car next week and sell it at the Portland swap meet for about 14K

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Run forest run. Seems pretty stand offish about it if he's got nothing to hide.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
He is going to paint the car next week and sell it at the Portland swap meet for about 14K
I think I'll be heading down there on Friday the 1st. Perhaps I can rattle his chain a little bit.

Maybe see if we can spy the vin from up underneath the wheel opening with a flashlight.....:poke:

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'll be heading down there on Friday the 1st. Perhaps I can rattle his chain a little bit.

Maybe see if we can spy the vin from up underneath the wheel opening with a flashlight.....:poke:
It should be a freshly painted black 65 fastback for around 14k, no motor or transmission. That is if he gets it painted. For all I know it could be fine and he is just a jerk?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts