Vintage Mustang Forums banner

91’ 5.0 HO refresh

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Jr_Palm 
#1 ·
Anybody have any advice on refreshening a low miles 91’ 5.0? I was planning on doin a full gasket set and new spark plugs. I don’t know much about engines but from looking at the thing those are the two things that stand out to me. Anything else I should replace while I’ve got it torn down? Engine has 80k miles (est) and has been stored inside for 10 years.

I’ll post some pics here soon.

#3 ·
Oh nice, from what I’ve heard the explorer engines are really great.

Well as far as how much money I want to put into it I think that depends on the condition of the internals of the engine. I’m going to check for flatness everywhere that’s supposed to be flat and measure the crank with a micrometer etc. depending on what I find will determine what I do from there.

I’m hoping I can just do gaskets, spark plugs and maybe a harmonic balancer. Oh and probably a timing chain like you said. It would be the best possible outcome. I drained the oil yesterday and it looked as if no one had ever changed it. It was free of debris but I’m skeptical of what the engine will look like when I crack it open.

#8 ·
Gotcha

Rear main seal.

This last time I had my kid's 5.0 apart was the first time I've put oil in the engine while it's still on the engine stand/hoist to check for leaks....and I found them. It was the 3rd time installing the pan before I got it completely leak free.

Phil
Wow that sounds like a lot of bolting and unbolting. I’m sure I’ll make a few mistakes as such.

#6 ·
Rear main seal.

This last time I had my kid's 5.0 apart was the first time I've put oil in the engine while it's still on the engine stand/hoist to check for leaks....and I found them. It was the 3rd time installing the pan before I got it completely leak free.

Sure is a lot easier to track down and fix any oil leaks before it goes back into the car RATHER than assuming nothing will leak and finding out you're wrong after the first start up.

Phil

#10 ·
I didn't make any mistakes installing the pan. The pan/gasket combination just wasn't sealing right. It required some extra RTV to get it completely leak free around the arched portion of the pan on both the front and back of the engine. This is not normally a spot most sources indicate you need to use any RTV....but I had to put a bead on both ends...which I am glad I found before it was back in the car as I'd have never gotten in 100% without pulling it again.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.