Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into my pickup yesterday morning to go to work and the iginition switch mechanism broke. I had to get a ride. So last night I was up till 9:30 tearing the column apart on the 91 F-250 w/ tilt steering. I found the broken part....a bracket, which when you turn the key on the ignition switch, moves along this linear gear and pushes on a thin rod, which then engages your starter.

I got it out with considerable difficulty. This is my QUESTION to anyone who tears into steering columns:

The column shroud which hold the key switch is removable which reveals the "inner column" which is a circular piece with the tilt mechanism in it and houses the bearing for the steering shaft. In order to remove that piece from the rest of the column, there are two (pins?) holding it to the column bracketry. These pins have a fine threaded female hole in the barrel part, which seems to serve no purpose. There is no way to drive these pins out or unscrew them if they are threaded. How does one remove these pins???? I tried inserting a "bolt" into the threaded holes and tightening them to see if that was the procedure for backing out these pins, to no avail. The threaded holes just bottom out in the barrel of the pin. I threaded in another bolt and pulled with a claw hammer like one would pull a nail. Again, no success.

If I can remove this piece of bracketry, ie. the pins. I can re-install the broken piece and reassemble the whole thing again. This is the second time in several months I had to tear into this $^#$) column.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
455 Posts
The pins are simple to remove.Install a screw,than using a pair of dyke's and a screw driver(as a pivot under the dyke's)pry the pin out.It is not threded on the outside.Make sure you have the column in the furthest up position when you remove the pins.Also remove the C clip from the top of the shaft so you can gain enough room to install the wishhbone.Another hint...don't remove the rod or switch.Cut the wishbone to remove the pin and reinstall it in the newone with a pair of plyers.If you run into any more prob's Email me.Good luck.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I inserted a screw and tried the claw hammer trick again and it worked. Now I can get the wishbone piece from the wrecking yard and access it OK. While I'm there, going to check on a set of Granada brake parts.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Forget the junkyard,you can still get them from ford,and a new one will last longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts