Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not up on newer mustangs, my brother was looking at a'91 and he said that it had 2 distributors, is this a case of drinking and car shopping or is that how the 4 cylinder cars came. Any info would be appreiciated.

·
Registered
680 Posts
No, it doesn't have 2 dist. It has 2 coils. No dist. It uses a crank trigger that picks up a spot off the dampener, and then tells the coils to fire. If you will look close, it is a 4 cyl. with 8 spark plugs, also....Mazda motor. Same one as I have in my '92 Ranger pick-up....

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
IIRC its a 8 plug version of the old 2.3 4 cyl used in Pintos and Thunderchicken turbo coups...

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
It's the same old Pinto/Mustang 2.3 engine. Mazda has nothing to do with it. From about 95 up, there are no Mazda trucks anyway. Just Rangers with Mazda stickers and slight different lights. The Rangers and the Mustangs used the same 4 cylinder engine up to '93. I've swapped them both ways.
I think Nissan was the first to use 8 plugs on a four cylinder pickup. The early 80's ones had two coils and what appeared to be a V8 distributor.
I believe the dual plug setup gives more emissions benefits than any real HP gains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts