Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have come across a 92 t-bird woth a 302 ho 4 speed auto with a disc brake rear axle can this modern drivetrain fit in a 67 mustang i would like to use motor/trans/axle and all the injection set up.thanks javed

·
Registered
771 Posts
it will fit pretty good i think.. thunderbirds had 4 speeds?? i thought they were only auto it should work remember the 289 is identical to the 302

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The engine and trans should be the same swap as any other 5.0 L and AOD. The rearend on the other hand, is an independant suspension 8.8" and would take considerable fabrication to install it in the early Mustang.

I've considered the T-Bird rear in an early car before and think it would be a great swap. Just consider that it's not a bolt-in, by any means.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I bought a 89 lincoln mark VII as a donor which is very similar to the t-bird.

The engine is great. It is fords High Output 302 with a roller cam, forged pistons and rods, truck heads. The lincoln does not have a MASS air sensor but can be upgraded with a sensor, wiring kit and computer from a mustang for $150 if you want to add nitrous or a supercharger/turbocharger.

The transmission needs a cross member to mount. The AOD isn't the strongest transmission in the world, but it is overdrive.

The rear end is an 8.8' where i'm getting a granada 9" but ive seen a bracket for $90 that will bolt up the disc brakes to the 9".

On the lincoln which is probably the same on the t-bird are used as donor cars. The front A-arms and it has the large (11"?) brakes. So there may be a few parts you can unload on . The t-bird is wider than a fox bodied mustang so the rear end is too wide.

The lincoln has other things like anti lock brakes that i'm not really sure what i want to do with.

I picked my lincoln up for $600 at auction. I'de go up to a $1,000 at auction, perhaps a bit more for the right one.

·
Banned
925 Posts
I pulled the IRS out of a 92 V-8 T-bird recently. It is a 8.8" pumpkin. I'm not sure of the year they changed over but some of the T-birds of that vintage had 4 1/4" bolt circle - not the Ford standard 4 1/2". That would limit your wheel selection unless you change out the axles.

G

·
0 Posts
First... SELL ME WHAT'S LEFT OVER! I have a '90 project I need the engine mounts, tank, & crossmember for!!!!!!! The rear can be made to fit but it takes a lot of effort. All of this body were IRS & all were auto's except the SC.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only one problem the car is over here in the u.k it was left behind by a u.s airman im still thinkin wether to buy it or not the price is about $1400 us.regards javed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts