Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello VMF experts,

I am about to embark on some lovely cowl repair and will be pulling the original C-Code 289. I have a F4TE 351w disassembled sitting on the stand waiting for the money to build a 408 stroker properly. I am planning on swapping the intake as I have a Holley sniper set ready to go on as well. While I have the engine out and am doing some repairs, would there be any advantage to throwing the 351w heads onto the 289? I assume that there would be a compression drop. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Yea, not really. Even if the 351w heads flowed better it would be in the upper end of the rpm range, aka unusable power for the average car. Keep your 289 heads and your compression, aka low end power.

Reactions: benjapg

·
Registered
383 Posts
There use to be when there were no aftermarket heads available. I did it back in 1977. You had to install special domed popup pistons to get your compression back. You needed special head bolts because the holes in the 351W heads were larger. You were suppose to machine a little off the sides of the 289 intake manifold so it matched up with the 351W heads. There might have been special length pushrods too. This was an upgrade listed in the 1969 Muscle Parts Catalogs. They gave the steps for building a stage 1, 2 or 3 289 using factory Ford Performance Parts. Before there was Ford Motorsports it was Ford Muscle Parts. I built the stage 3 motor, with the 351W heads and the GT40 Lemans cam. It ran pretty good maybe 350 hp, but it would be a joke compared to the heads that are available now. These are great catalogs if you like nostalgia but the technology is 50 year's old just like the 351W heads.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
I wish I still had my Ford Muscle Parts catalog. I guess it gone thrown away somewhere along the line.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,454 Posts
My F4TE's came with "E7" heads. A decided "meh". You can but with GT40's and GT40P's out there, I wouldn't. (I have a F4TE building up now with a pair of GT40P's going on it. And the E7's going....away.)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I must have read those books 100 times when I was 16. I still have them. That was all my dad's literature. He collected Ford literature from Model Ts to 1970 Mach 1s. I had to build a special room to house it all.

All the toys Santa brought me were Fords. First pedal car was a Mustang from the Ford dealer in 1964. I still have my Hot Wheels Mustang Fastback from 1967. My matchbox fastback with the cool front wheels that turn. My 1970 Boss 302 Sizzler Hot rod. All my hot wheels were Fords. Battery operated '57 Ford retractable top toy. I don't remember even having a Chebby toy. My first car, was a '65 fastback dad bought me when I was 15 for $900.00. I turned it into a fake GT-350. The first fake GT-350 I ever saw back then. My bedroom clock, a Flatheads Forever clock that looked like a finned head. Our driveway had four 1964 1/2-1966 Mustangs in it and the next door neighbors had two 1965's and a 1967. I'm thinking I might have been brainwashed into a Ford guy. Big picture of Henry Ford hung in my dad's garage, Too bad at the time I did not know how wonderful those years were.

·
Registered
35,477 Posts
While I have the engine out and am doing some repairs, would there be any advantage to throwing the 351w heads onto the 289? I assume that there would be a compression drop. Thanks in advance!
Only if your 289 heads are complete junk...

If you have a '65-67 289 you'll lose around a full point of static compression ratio. If you have a '68 you'll be about the same as you were with the 289 heads... with the same size valves.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Ben, no, don't use them, because they won't help you. SOME 351W heads have bigger ports ( 145 cc instead of 125 cc ) and bigger valves 1.84 & 1.54 instead of 1.78 & 1.45. But the F4TE head does not have the better ports, or the better valves. If you have a pair of the small chambered 289 heads, you can improve and upgrade them with the bigger valves. I can help with part numbers, if you like. What intake are you going to run ? LSG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Great replies and I will just stick to the sniper/4 barrel change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts