Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for a GT40 or GT40P engine for my 65. I have a wrecking yard telling me that they have a 1996 5.0 from a Mustang. My research tells me that the 5.0 was not available in a 96 Mustang, but the wrecking yard insist that that's what they have. I'm going to look at it Saturday.
Is there any chance a 96 Mustang could have a 5.0?

·
Registered
284 Posts
From Wikipedia...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_(fourth_generation)

In 1996, Ford dropped the 302 CID Windsor V8 that was in production since 1968[12] and introduced the Modular 4.6 L SOHC V8. These engines were produced at two different plants, Windsor and Romeo. A "W" in the VIN 8th digit indicates a "Romeo" engine, while an "X" indicates a "Windsor".

The Windsor and Romeo have subtle differences. Valve cover bolt patterns are one. Romeo has fewer bolts than the Windsor. Another difference is the front cover bolts. The Windsor uses 8 mm and the Romeo uses 10 mm bolts. The Romeo uses jack screws on the main caps and the Windsor uses dowels. The new engine produced 215 hp (160 kW; 218 PS) at 4400 rpm and 285 lb⋅ft (386 N⋅m) of torque at 3500 rpm, matching the output of its predecessor. For 1998, the 4.6 L V8 received a small increase in output, resulting in 225 hp (168 kW; 228 PS) at 4750 rpm and 290 lb⋅ft (393 N⋅m) of torque at 3500 rpm. This was achieved through PCM calibration and a modified fuel system. Though capable of matching or exceeding the older 302 V8's output, the 4.6 L V8 was criticized for delivering inadequate performance, particularly against the larger displacement of the OHV V8 used in the Mustang's chief rival, the Chevrolet Camaro

·
Administrator
19,631 Posts
There is a chance but it shouldn't be unless someone is mistaken about something. Like it's actually a '95 or something.

Running around somewhere around here there is a 1996 Mustang with a 1966 427 engine in it. I own two vehicles that aren't supposed to have 351W's in them but do. And one 1986 Mustang that isn't supposed to have a 5.0 in it but does anyway. You never know until you look. If you're not too familiar, Google up pictures of a 1995 Mustang 5.0 engine compartment and a 1996 4.6 to get an idea of what to look for.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It would not come from the factory with a pushrod 5.0 from the factory. However that was 23 years ago, who knows what PO’s have done?
totally agree. I have a 1996 Mustang GT which I purchased new. That was the first year of the 4.6 motor in the Mustang. I think one of two things happened--either the person on the phone is mistaken or someone swapped the 4.6 motor for the 5.0.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Externally, one of the differences are the tail lights.
Back when these were newer, tail light swaps were common.
It wont be a GT40 though. It was rated at 215HP, 10 down from the Fox body, because of the T-bird intake.
I kept the intake on my swap, fits a 65 well.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The price is right, so if it's a decent 5.0 I'll get it. Hopefully my next question will be which cam does it need.
Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a look at the engine and it's 1986 Mustang engine that's been transplanted into a pickup truck. It has what looks like a smog carb instead of fuel injection. I can't see any advantage in going with this '86 5.0 engine for $400 vs a newer GT40P other than the exhaust issue.
Are there any redeeming qualities to the '86 5.0 engine that I don't know about?

·
Administrator
19,631 Posts
Nope. Equipped with what are widely considered to be the worst performance heads Ford ever put on a small block if it is stock.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I took a look at the engine and it's 1986 Mustang engine that's been transplanted into a pickup truck. It has what looks like a smog carb instead of fuel injection. I can't see any advantage in going with this '86 5.0 engine for $400 vs a newer GT40P other than the exhaust issue.
Are there any redeeming qualities to the '86 5.0 engine that I don't know about?
nope ,get an Explorer GT40P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts