Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a '70 vert and is trying to figure out how to install '98 Cobra (power) front seats in it. The differences between the '70 and '98 seat mountings are numerous:
The 70's have integral bolts that pass through the holes in the seat risers - the '98's have holes for bolts to pass through;
The distances between the mounting holes are very different side to side and front to back with the '98's actually being too long to fit on the seat risers;
The height of the '98 seat, even at its lowest position is too close to the steering wheel for thigh clearance.

I'm seeking suggestions and solutions to this fitment problem. Should the seat risers be removed and the '98 seats mounted directly to the floor? Should the seat risers be modified in some way and re-used under the '98 seats? Should I look to some other way to mount these seats without messing with the seat risers?

All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I put 88 Mustang seats in a 65 GT conv. You cannot use the power motor, as it raises the seat into the steering wheel (on a 65 anyway!). Take the tracks off the new seats and use the 70 tracks. You will need to drill 1 hole in the tracks to match the 2nd hole in the seat bottom. The 98 bottoms should be similar to the 88's.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
One solution would be to remove the seat risers and build a custom platform. This is will give you and inch or two of clearance. I did that, because my legs hit the wheel.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
you have to just put the 70 tracks onto the 98 seats as mentioned before. it just takes a little drilling bc youl have to make everything line up properly. all ford seats were created very similiar, making it easy to install late model seats into an early model stang. speaking of which, i have 91 GT seats in my 66

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. Are you running the power assist for the driver's seat in your car?
By the way, I see from your profile that you're in San Jose, I'm in Willow Glen, where in San Jose are you?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a set of these mounted in The Clone Vert. http://www.vintage-mustang.com/mow18/pictures/leather2.html

I had a terrible time because the convertibles have a totally different bracing set-up than the coupes or fastbacks. The area that the seat can mount in is too narrow. (Everyone said,"Just bolt 'em in!")
I attached the vintage tracks to the new seats as far forward as possible, which required drilling two new holes. This gave me more rear travel.
In order for the release mechanisim to work, the front of the tracks should be spaced away about 3/4". If you bolt the rear of the tracks right to the seat, the farther back you adjust the seat the lower it will go as it goes back. Good for taller types.

I ended up drilling 4 holes in the floor about 3/4" outboard in order to get the seats to center. You may not have that problem on the 69.

If this sounds confusing, let me know. I can send some pics.

Dan

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan

Not sure I understand what you did. You said
the front of the tracks should be spaced away about 3/4"
What do you mean by that??
Also, were you able to use the power seat adjustment feature?

And yes, I'd love to see pics of the install.

Thanks
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts