Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I know it's nice..I know it's got low miles...but $95,000?? The part that makes me skeptical is that none of the bidders' names are given (private auction). I know ACman63 is on this site a lot. Did the winner follow through w/payment yet? Do you think we could find someone willing to give me $50k for my '67? Do you think our hobby is getting outa control yet? I don't think I will be able to afford another 'stang if things keep going like this /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I know a lady who has a 68KR with 6000 original miles. It was her sons..... he went to vietnam and never came home. Its been sitting in her garage ever since, she go's out and starts it, and and moves it every week. The car is cherry. She has been offered 120,000 for the car, but turned it down, because she wants to donate it to the Indianapolis raceway muesem.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Dont you mean 66 Corvette? You are talking about that song, right? You know, the one by David Ball(sp?), the one about the solider riding with him?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's not uncommon for a special Shelby to go for ~$100k. From where I sit, it's an indicator that our hobby is very healthy.

I hear the same argument from neighbors complaining about their property taxes going up, but they never seem to complain when they sell their home in a good economy and pocket an extra $300k..

·
Registered
850 Posts
The reason people use private auctions(bidders names not shown) is to keep other users from contacting prospective buyers and trying to sell them a car they have and messing up bidding on your auction. The fellow with the '67 GT 500 who wants $50K, if that car is close to the one that sold, just send me your name and address and upon inspection, I'll give you a check. I paid $30K for a '67 GT 500 with no engine or transmission and just appraised one in my shop for $65K for insurance purposes. 67 Shelby Gt 500's are one of the hottest cars on the collectibles market.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Sadly, some of these stories are true. My best friend in the USMC had a '66 Shelby. We went to Nam together; he came back in a silver box and I came back pretty well broken after two years as a guest of the North Vietnamese. His dad, now 80, still has the car and puts around 100 miles a year on it. Sometimes, I go with him to visit his son at the San Bruno national cemetary near San Francisco, in that very car.....it has just over 13,000 miles on it. It is an honor to work on it and to drive it. The car is exactly as it was when we went except for the battery, fluids and tires. I do the fluids each fall. It even has a picture of my friend's then girl friend on the dash in a small frame that he attached there. Sorry if this seems maudlin, but such things do happen.....

G

·
0 Posts
..................in some ways i don`t think we do enough for our vets.................................................
my father still has my brothers 67 vette convert,[he dident come back from a fighter sweep in 69-MIA] it will most likely get passed to me when the time comes
and i in turn,
i will have to pass it on to my son when my time is here.
Forever USA!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks for enlightening us about why people use private auctions, I always thought most of the time it was because they had something to hide!!! 30k for a car without and engine and tranny? Um, hottest cars or not, that sure sounds like a lot of dough for a project! If you have that sort of money for projects, I need to sell you one! how about a 68 KR auto/air project red/black for 40k ?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I always love when rumors start here and there. ACMAN...AKA,
Jim Cowles of Shelby Parts and restoration has more collective Shelby experience than probably anyone on the board. If you actually studied that car you could appreciate the detail. Cars that are "the best" bring top dollar. Here's an example.. a friend went to the Barret Jackson auction in spring 2001, his son's were with him, and up rolls a perfect red, 66 convert. Not a K code, but "the right car" with original paperwork....he paid $39,000 or so. To som people, that is mere pocket change. I assume the person who paid 95,000 for the GT 500 will be tickled with that car. I will tell you what bugs me, are the Shelby, and Eleanor clones that people are paying 30K plus for!! Especially one seller whom brags about earning "Best Shelby" at car shows. Anybody dumb enough to buy a C code automatic Eleanor for 35K deserves to lose their money in a few years.

As far as private auctions, people buying $90,000 cars like privacy too, and it protects the seller. To suggest the seller of this car was bidding on his own car....come on, he has a very good reputation. Instead of complaining about prices, you should be saving those digital pictures of that car for future detailing of your own car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts