Vintage Mustang Forums banner

A Bargain in Los Angeles?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  slim 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Been up for sale for awhile......My understanding is most of the major insurance companies will not insure a salvage title.....But collector's car insurance companies might.....Price has come down a bit on this car......As I recall, the guy was asking 8k at one time........

#6 · (Edited)
in california a minor fender bender on an old car declared totaled by the insurance company gets a salvaged title from the DMV. if you buy an old wore unwrecked car from a salvage yard cali puts salvage on the title. if your car is stolen and anything is taken off it gets a salvaged title. my 68 torino was driven till worn out and sold to a junk yard. it has a salvaged title but state farm said that wassnt an issue cause my car wasnt a totaled wreck. if that mustang was wor out and sold to a junk yard and someone bought it from the junk yard it will be issued a salvaged title. people that bought wore out classics from Memory Lane got salvaged on the title when they went to reregister them. there was a ford salvage yard PDQ and Eddie the owner would get a call at times from an elderly widow wanting to sell her dead husbands classic car to. i saw a 66 galaxie 7 liter,69 merc cyclone,several 65-66 mustangs and other sought after fords come through there and all got salvaged on the title when the new owner re-registered it. california says if a car is sold to a salvage yard or totaled by the insurance company it get the salvage word. i use to see lots of 65-66 2 door hard top galaxies in pick-a-part and a friend bought a real nice one. looked like it had not run for many many years. it was still complete so we guessed it was put on the picking yard the day he bought it. just because the title has salvaged on it doesnt mean it was wrecked. that why you need to closely inspect any car you buy. yep my 68 torino was sitting in a wrecking yard about to be pick and crushed when a guy who helps run the local fairlane club saws it and bought it and then i bought it from him as he got it , just wore out and needing a restoration. i didnt buy my 68 torino to flip , i bought to drive for the rest of my life. if ya'll come across a 68 Shelby GT500KR fastback with a salvage title and ya'll dont want it cause of the salvage title i'll buy it if its at a price i can aford. i wonder how many cars are bought and sold that were a totaled wreck that were brought back from the dead and people pay top dollar for that dont have salvaged on the title but should. how about all the rustbuckets that should be crushed that have all new frames and sheet metal welded on by do it yoursef novice welders. ya'll sure them welds will hold the frame rail on the car at 70 mph on the freeway ? i know this is long but dont pass up a car jus cause the title has salvaged on it. take the time to find out why its declared salvaged and inspect it carefully. if i went to buy a restored mustang i would look at it with a magnifying glass and be all over it looking to see that the structure was sound. just cause it looks good and aint a salvage dont mean it couldnt fall apart. technically a rust bucket is a total loss cause it takes more monet to put it back then you could buy a good shell for. even if you do all the work what is your time worth ? and most of the parts are cheep repops. let me know if you see that 68 shelby with a salvaged title cause i bet i could afford it if nobody else wanted it ! and thats the only shelby i would be interested in the 68 gt500kr fastback !

#10 ·
The 66 has been flagged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.