Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across an A/C compressor at a barn sale; owner said it was off an "old" Ford truck...I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this would work on my 65 Tbird with 390 engine?

The compressor is a Fomoco, is cast iron but I don't know if it's a York or Tecumseh. Model is HG1000
DOAA-2875-A1
SN A-386770

Anyone have a way to look up to see if this is a match?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It probably will, It looks to be from a 70 model but most of the modifications to the compressors are internal or there may be a difference in the drive pulley and clutch assemblies. If you have the brackets from your Thunderbird is should mount up ok. There are plenty of these compressors out there so if this one doesn't work you should not have much trouble finding one...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm going to call the owner and see if he can narrow down the year of the car or truck it came off of. A local junk yard said Comets, Falcons, Cougars, Tbirds (64-71) should work. Ford trucks 64-69 should work. I think the guy said it came off a truck, so now it's a matter of narrowing down the year. I've got a compressor for the Tbird already (just had it rebuilt in fact), I just like to pick up "future" parts that I may need someday. For $10, it would be worth to have. Obsolete Ford Parts wants $289 for a used compressor, mine cost $345 to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If it's a cast iron, it's a Tecumseh. The interchange problem will be where the hoses attach. Three different (That I know of) types of manifolds used on these compressors.

Unknown componets are an invitation to failure! I always start out with a rebuilt compressor, new filter/drier, and flush all the componets to remove any contaminants. See here..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts