Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the clutch brush on my A/C compressor. Doesn't look like there is enough clearance between the pully and the bolts to remove the old one. Looks like the pully has to be removed from the compressor first. How do you get the bolt on the clutch loose with out it spinning the clutch inside the pully?

·
Registered
238 Posts
With the compressor clutch belt installed and in its fully tensioned state, turn the ignition switch to the accessory position. (engine is not running) Turn the fan speed control to any operating position and the thermostatic control clockwise to its coldest position. This engages the electromagnetic clutch and locks the inner clutch hub to the pulley. Now use a 1/2 inch box wrench and loosen the center bolt. Once loosened but not removed turn the ignition switch to off and de-energize the clutch. Use a small wrecking bar about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide to remove pulley. Pulley sits on a tapered shaft and just has to be dislodged so that it can be removed easily. Place wrecking bar between back side of pulley and against cast iron bracket bolted to compressor. Do not place it against aluminum compressor housing on a York compressor. This forms a wedge. Strike end of wrecking bar forcefully several times and pulley will unseat itself. Remove center bolt and remove pulley. Upon installation, energize clutch to lock center hub and you can torque center bolt properly.

G

·
0 Posts
please leave the wrecking bars at home. go to the hardware store or if you are like me your seemingly endless supply of fasteners box and find a sae 5/8 course thread bolt approximately 1 inch long. remove the center bolt and thread the 5/8 bolt into the clutch head you'll see its threaded after removing the small bolt and washer. tighten the 5/8 bolt this will push the outer clutch assembly off the tapered hub easily with no risk to any other parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts