Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My York compressor worked hard for 50 years, but it is time to retire it and upgrade to a sanden unit. I'm interested in an "underhood upgrade kit", that includes a compressor, bracket, clutch, lines, drier and condensor. I'm keeping my under-dash evaporator so there will be nothing visible from the cabin, just under the hood and those changes will be minimized visually.

Here are the three options I'm looking at:

Option 1 is a Scott Drake 50-0015 kit. It sells for $704.66 at Summit.
Option 2 is Original Air 22-102-U. It sells for $875 at Classic Auto Air.
Option 3 is Old Air Products 50-3066P. It sells for $455 at Old Air Products. It does not include the condensor (although they sell one) but is polished, unlike the other options.

All three locations are within a one-hour drive from my house, so I'll pick it up at the seller's location. All will have sales tax, but no shipping.

Summit is, well, Summit. Just a distributor. Original Air and Old Air Products are similar companies, specializing in classic, vintage and hot rod air conditioning systems.

Obviously the Old Air Products is a good value. They have a fair warranty. Is a system just a system? Anything I should watch out for that I'm not catching?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
A Sanden is a Sanden is a Sanden. . . . .
Check the specs on the condenser and select the best unit designed specifically to run R134A. I did mine in steps and found that the compressor alone only slightly improved the cooling efficiency of the system. When I had the condenser replaced with a high efficiency unit to fix a leak, the difference was like night and day!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Classic Auto Air. Talk to Curtis x7024

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Used them for 4 Mustangs, '65, '66, '67, '68. All work well including the one installed 20 years ago.
Great support for questions.
Like all of us I like finding the best price, but some time you get what you pay for.
But the others might be just as good, hopefully other VMFers will have some feedback on those for you.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Depending on the condition of your evaporator, it would probably be a good idea to disassemble and inspect it. More than likely, if converting from R12 to 134 you may need to replace the expansion valve. There is also a more efficient and improved coil for your OEM evaporator unit. If you keep the original, it probably needs to be cleaned. I recently upgraded my 65 AC with a stage 3 kit from Original Air also keeping my OEM under dash unit. Pleased with everything so far.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have the 134a upgrade setup from old air with the sanden compressor. Blows nice and cold and everything fit nicely. I've since upgraded condensers as one of the fittings on mine was leaking badly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If I went to 134a I would get the new condenser. No matter which maker I went with.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
To ensure a good working system you should get:
  • New Compressor
  • New condenser, the new style 6 circuit (the part that goes in front of the radiator)
  • New hoses & O-rings, 134a runs at higher pressure, you can reuse the 90 degree liquid line if it in un good condition(the all metal tubing that goes through the radiator core support), and you can reuse the other long S-shaped solid line if in good shape. Clean both of those lines out good with carb & brake cleaner.
  • New Drier/Receiver
  • New Expansion Vavle

- Evaporator can be reused, it should cleaned and tested for leaks. Classic Auto Air can tell you how to clean it(and what to look for while doing that) and check it for leaks. On all 4 in our family I was able to reuse them.

• You will need the adapter to mount the compressor.
  • Correct Oil, PAG, for the compressor if not already filled.
  • Put a few drops of the PAG oil on all the fittings before connecting and tightening them.

Reactions: 66#3

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They guy (O'steen, if I recall correctly) who came out to talk with me on the "showroom" floor urged me to go with the newer condenser due to the fin density. It made sense given how many other things I was swapping out.

I found an article in Mustang Monthly that was doing a Scott Drake under-hood upgrade. I don't think it was a coincidence that the product call-out was 50-3066 which happens to be the exact same product ID at Old Air Products. It makes me think Scott Drake is just re-branding it as their own. Not sure what that's worth, but it is a data point.

I wish there was a kit that used some recent Ford OEM unit from the salvage yard.

@awhtx I'm really lucky to have so many choices so close! It's nearly a curse having too many good choices to choose from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts