Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is involved with switching from the old Tecumseh compressor to a new Sanden unit? Can this be done by finding a late model donor for parts or do you have to buy one of those conversion kits? I'm not incredibly A/C savvy, but would like something that doesn't take half my HP just to run my factory 65 A/C.

When I can't stand, I must lean...
When I can't see, I must believe....

·
Registered
529 Posts
I guess you could cobble up a conversion using a donor but it may be cheaper (and a lot less frustrating) in the long run to just get the kit.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

G

·
0 Posts
You can do it very easy and it isn't very expensive. I went to the wrecking yard and got the compressor and the big mounting bracket. You will also need the water pump pully and alternator pully if you using a serpentine belt. The unit I got was serpentine, but there are v-belt units available. You hack up the mount for the compressor (cut off the parts for powersteering). Then you bolt it right up. The only thing you need to do it convert your hoses so that they will hook up to the new compressor. you will probably need new hoses. you can go a few places that will fabricate the hoses for you, or if you willing to try it you can do it yourself.

If you use the serpintine setup, you will need to have the 4-bolt harmonic ballancer to bolt the pully to. 4 bolt is standard on 302, 3 bolt is on 289. if you have a 289 and have to change it you will probably need to change the timeing chain cover, water pump, and change the outlet on your radiator.

If you have a 302 it is a very easy and simple change over.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Probably a lot less frustrating to buy the conversion kit from Classic Auto Air and bolt it on. I would seriously consider converting to R-134a at the same time. Talk to Classic about that. I put a Sanden on my '66 289 which never had air and it looks like a good solution. There is just an adapter plate and some hose changes. Am going with R-134a. Good Luck.

65 Conv., 65 & 66 Coupes and the remains of
a 66' Coupe with 6 cyl. engine and V-8 3 spd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts