Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a discovery just past closing time for my parts vendor, so I'll be losing the long week-end to finish my A/C! AARRGGHH!! Anyway, I bought a Sanden conversion kit from Classic Auto Air, and I'm in the process of putting it in. I bought a new expansion valve because my old one had problems. As I'm getting ready to mount the thing, I see etched in the side "R134a". My system is R-12 (got access to plenty of R-12 Freon). Nowhere in the catalog or the invoice is a designation that the expansion valve is R-12 or R-134a - just says "'71 - '73 Expansion Valve - New". I ordered the expansion valve at the same time I ordered the R-12 Sanden Conversion Kit. To your knowledge, is there a difference in expansion valves between the two coolants?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think there is a difference. I am running 3 134a systems with old evaporators that have original R-12 expansion valves. I think CAA said that the only difference is the liqid filling the capillary tube. It seems to have little, if any effect on performance. Check with CAA. Sorry about the lost weekend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just finished a Classic Auto Air installation and used the original Ford R-12 expansion valve with my new R-134a coolant conversion system. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. Here's the scoop according to the folks at CAA. Either refrigerant may be used in the expansion valve in the Ford A/C systems. An R-12 (original) unit does not have to be re-calibrated for R-134a and vice-versa. Apparently the GM units are refrigerant-specific due to their design. So. I get to use the new one I received! ::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts