Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me with finding out how I would put a A/C in my 1967 Ford Mustang with a 351W engine?

It currently don't have any A/C or heating.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
In most cases your wallet will determine the direction you follow. In general:

At the high end is a refurbished factory in-dash system that can be retrofitted into a car without factory air. If you are a sticlker for originality or a concourse trophy chaser, this is your system of choice. Classic Auto Air in Tampa has an original A/C subsidiary and can set you up. If you want to shave some of the cost and are willing to do some parts chasing and knuckle busting, ebay, Craig's List, and local parts cars with complete factory A/C can suit you well.

If you are ok with something that functions like A/C but is obviously NOT a factory system, you have what are often referred to as a "Perfect Fit" systems which are modern units designed to fit with some modifications and adaptation to the car. Again Classic Auto Air as well as Vintage Air and a couple of others have these kits for sale.

Next step down is a universal fit, hot rod style system that comes as a box lunch but might require more modification and adaptation than the Perfect Fit systems.

At the bottom of the pile are extreme value conscious owners who will try and cobble together a system from any number of parts from other makes and models of cars, usually from junk yards. Welding skills for custom brackets, mounts, and braces can come in handy at this level.

Most Mustang Parts houses that offer A/C Kits are selling one or another Kit from one of the manufacturers above.

I have used Classic Auto Air's original A/C subsidiary for three cars over the years. Their Sanden compressor option allows you to upgrade to modern technology, (at the expense of some concourse points). I have found their products have been first rate and function well. I have no first hand experience on the other options or vendors.

I'm sure that others here can add to what I have started.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Good info above. Be aware this install is non-trivial. You will require:

- Heater/AC box which fits under the dash. You must remove the dash to install it. This box has a heater core, an A/C evaporator and internal doors for diverting air between the floor vents, dash vents and defroster vent.

- A/C compressor and 351W bracket. The 351W wasn't available until 1969, but I think the A/C compressors were the same as previous years. As mentioned above, you can also opt for a more modern compressor which is much smaller, lighter and more efficient.

- A/C Condensor. This is the part that resembles a radiator. It installs in front of the radiator.

- Refrigerant hoses. These connect between the A/C compressor, condensor and evaporator.

- I'm thinking the 1967 Mustangs had A/C vents in the dash. If you want it to look like factory air, you'll have to get an A/C lower dash with vents as well as the ducts which connect the vents. (You have to remove the lower dash to install the heater-A/C box anyway. )

Once you get all the components installed and connected, you will require special equipment to purge the system of all air and introduce refrigerant.

So, yeah. This is a pretty big deal, but it's certainly doable. Be aware any used parts you buy are likely to be completely shot. Fifty-year-old condensors and evaporators are likely to leak. A fifty-year-old A/C compressor is likely to be worn out. This is why many people opt for the Classic Air kits as mentioned above.

Of course, you could always sell your Mustang and buy a similar Mustangs with factory air. Personally, I would likely go this route. :smile2:

·
Just some guy
20,221 Posts
Alternative method. Find Original 1967 AC system/parts and refurbish them yourself. It's what I did. I lucked into most of the underdash in a junkyard car Once you have the main bulk of it you can find bits on eBay or lots of it is available in the catalogs. Sometimes at swap meets people will sell what they say is the complete setup for under the dash in a box. Which is how my '69 got AC. What I bought wasn't complete but it was a good deal with the important bits included. The parts I'm missing are available new so I'm not worried about those and feel I really lucked out. I've even seen people here selling AC setups before.
Underhood I don't care about. I use updated Sanden compressors that handle R134A better than the old coolant. You can't beat a new uprated condenser form NPD. The brackets I mostly have scrounged up and refurbished. The hoses I'll either buy new or have made up locally when I get that far.

Another way is to go underdash AC. Although '67 was the first year for in-dash AC they still had the add-on type as an option and you can find those. If you need heat (I've no idea of your location, people in some parts of the country don't need or want heat) you can likely score someone's setup who has swapped it out in favor of in-dash AC.

Both these methods require patience and a willingness to scrounge around, haunt eBay, hit swap meets, etc. All of which I consider more fun than any amusement park ever built. Others have no interest in that stuff and want it all to be new and come in a box all at once. Nothing wrong with that approach, stiff fun, just not as much (for me).

And if you add your location you never know, somebody one town over might pipe up an say "Hey I've got some extra/leftover..." and hook you up. It absolutely happened to me. I have a fellow VMF member to thank for more than a few goodies.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
A/C is the only modern thing I'm putting on the car at this point. Unless I don't want to drive it 3 months out of the year...

I've looked high and low and for me the Classic Air systems seem to be the best bang for the buck/least integration. There are plenty of good late model systems that have been taken off wrecked cars from salvagers. I'd avoid self service yards for something like this. No telling how long its been there or what shape it's in. For a few hundred bucks you can get relatively low mileage parts, enough to have most of the bits for a mod. As Klutch says the trick is getting it to fit and all the details worked out. That's where the kit comes it, they've already done that part. It may be less money, implementing it could be a crap shoot. I'm usually up for a big project but putting a kit in is a big enough under taking. Unless you're really into building cars building a system from late model parts could be a bridge too far.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I founds all the parts and refurbished them. Class Auto Air will sell you all the parts. eeded They also have underhood and evaporator upgrades to use the Sanden compressor and hoses for a R-134 upgrade. Note for the 351 you will need the compressor brackets from a 69 because the 351 wasn't offered in 68.

West Coast Classic Cougars reproduces the in dash side vents you'll need. The center vent is a bit hard to find in really good condition, but if you don't mind a few pits in the chrome you can get them for a reasonable price. Install is a bit complicated as it is a tight fit under the dash, but not impossible. Just take your time. There are number of little parts that can be tough to chase down, so best if you can get a full system removed from a parts car. I see them for sale pretty often.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
While Klutch's comments about removing the dash and replacing the lower dash with a vent version is correct for '69-'70, the '67-'68 factory system can be retrofitted without either of those steps. Make no mistake, the installation is complex but can be done by a hobbyist with determination, patience, some courage,and a good set of tools. Once installed, having the system evacuated and charged professionally is probably best if you are not equipped with the specialized equipment needed to achieve that task.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Specifically where did you guys find your original evaporator/blower cases? I can find original or repro condensers, compressors, dryers and the like just not the main box as a whole. Original Air lists one in the catalog but I was looking for something to rebuild. I haven't been looking hard core but not everyday at the usual places, CL for the entire southwest and CA and ebay. It seems to be the big piece that's the most difficult to get as a used refurb ready original.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I found mine in a parts car at a used Mustang place. I see them often on Craigslist and ebay. Classic Auto Air has them available as well. Call and ask them if they have a used case available that you can buy along with their new High efficency Evaporator. The rebuild is pretty easy although you may have to make some Fiberglass repairs on the case which re often cracked. You'll need:

67 or 68 Case (They are different but interchangeable) BTW they are available New
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1967-Early-Mustang-Heater-Box-Assembly-w-Gaskets-Cars-With-A-C-Air/273213346523?fits=Year%3A1967%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item3f9cc8d2db:g:4LgAAOSwMNVa-exA

Blower motor asssembly
Diffuser assembly
Defroster assembly (Available new)
Side vents (Available new)
Center Vent
Control cables (Available new)
Control Hose (Available new)
Vent Hoses (Available New)
Hose retainers (I made my own)
Expansion Valve
Water Cutoff valve (Repros available)

There are lots on Ebay although the prices may not be cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-Cougar-Xr7-Or-Mustang-A-C-FOMOCO-Heater-Box-With-Expansion-Valve/323251061683?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D7cfc02e55e6247f6bc86fe4209ba33d5%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D16%26sd%3D371464207205%26itm%3D323251061683&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726

67-68 Ford Mustang AC/heater box & plenum with motor, C7ZZ-18A409, EXCELLENT | eBay

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
-The HVAC case/assembly was one of the many things I removed when working on my 68. Intention was to put new foam seals on the flaps, and put in new heater core, have evap leak checked and paint the case. AC was working fine when I started refurb. Several years later putting car back together the case assembly is nowhere to be found @*^# ! Put a wanted post in VMF Classic wanted forum and got a salvaged assembly.

Stang still has the heat water bipassed. Someday.....

Slim

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I found mine in a parts car at a used Mustang place. I see them often on Craigslist and ebay. Classic Auto Air has them available as well. Call and ask them if they have a used case available that you can buy along with their new High efficency Evaporator. The rebuild is pretty easy although you may have to make some Fiberglass repairs on the case which re often cracked. You'll need:

67 or 68 Case (They are different but interchangeable) BTW they are available New
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1967-Early-Mustang-Heater-Box-Assembly-w-Gaskets-Cars-With-A-C-Air/273213346523?fits=Year%3A1967%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item3f9cc8d2db:g:4LgAAOSwMNVa-exA

Blower motor asssembly
Diffuser assembly
Defroster assembly (Available new)
Side vents (Available new)
Center Vent
Control cables (Available new)
Control Hose (Available new)
Vent Hoses (Available New)
Hose retainers (I made my own)
Expansion Valve
Water Cutoff valve (Repros available)

There are lots on Ebay although the prices may not be cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-Cougar-Xr7-Or-Mustang-A-C-FOMOCO-Heater-Box-With-Expansion-Valve/323251061683?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3D7cfc02e55e6247f6bc86fe4209ba33d5%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D16%26sd%3D371464207205%26itm%3D323251061683&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726

67-68 Ford Mustang AC/heater box & plenum with motor, C7ZZ-18A409, EXCELLENT | eBay

Would be interesting to get comments from someone who tried the repro case. Bound to hear the "pretty pricey". Gotta dig up my beat up original and see how close this looks.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Oops, overshot my 4 min limit for editing!
The new one looks nothing lime the original on ebay.
Hmmm...

·
Just some guy
20,221 Posts
Specifically where did you guys find your original evaporator/blower cases?
I found my '67's box in a '68 Cougar in a salvage yard. It amused me at the time that the old Mustangs there were stripped naked but the Cougar was largely untouched as it was sitting in their "Mercury" section. (Or I'm guessing that's what happened.)

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Anyone have any idea what car the one on ebay is from/fits?

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Thanks guys. I've been searching "evaporator" and not for a heater box. I suppose I should start using the right part name. DOH!!! :lol:
Technically it is an evaporator, but the average guy calls it a heater box. I found it was hard to locate on eBay, you'll have to try different names.

Both the evaporator case and the blower case on eBay appear to be from a 67 Mustang ( or possibly Cougar). The 67 case splits along a straight line. The 68 case splits along an uneven line, but is otherwise identical.

The 67 blower includes a cooling hose for the fan motor. This was eliminated in 68

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Searching evaporator gets a ton of replacement coils, good to see they're still making them. The install of an original (or repro) doesn't appear much different than the Classic kits. The generic kit for a grand looks appealing if I wasn't trying maintain the stock look/parts. The mod won't match my Marti Report but the report isn't driving the car in the summer in Vegas. Rebuilding 67-68 cores at least keeps it closer to what came off the line.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Searching evaporator gets a ton of replacement coils, good to see they're still making them. The install of an original (or repro) doesn't appear much different than the Classic kits. The generic kit for a grand looks appealing if I wasn't trying maintain the stock look/parts. The mod won't match my Marti Report but the report isn't driving the car in the summer in Vegas. Rebuilding 67-68 cores at least keeps it closer to what came off the line.
That was my feeling as well, and nothing fits like a factory part

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Cheers! I just picked that one up. Seemed too good to pass up even though I'm not quite at that stage of the project. I was hoping to have it back on the street later this evening, ready to start shaking down and seeing what 11 years of storage had done to it. A last minute tooth extraction has slowed that down a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts