Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Mach. Something is pulling too much amps and blowing my fuses and the clutch is fine, but they can't tell if its the blower motor or the resistor. Anybody encounter this before? How can I tell so I don't replace something unnecessarily? I was also told that they couldn't find a resistor for poor little pony. Please help its Hot down here!! ::

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
This might not be relative to your A/C problem at all, but my new Classic Auto Air system kept blowing its fuse too. Turned out to be the voltage regulator. Might be worth a try... I mean, how can you go wrong for $10! :p

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
When I first put a Classic Auto Air conversion on my 69 it kept blowing the fuse. Friend told me that newer style compressors take more amps to run. I installed a larger fuse and have not had problem since.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if this is relavent or not but this is factory A/C ... its been running fine and then Sunday it just quit so we replaced the fuse and it worked but as soon as you give gas it blows.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Do your self a favor and DO NOT put in a larger size fuse. This is no way to fix the problem. You could damage the entire wiring harness or worse incinerate the entire car! The 69/70 A/C is the same on the cougar and mustangs. From my experience, the fan switch on my car was causing a problem and was the weakest link in the circuit and burned up. Every once in a while it would pop a fuse when on Hi speed. If run on any other speed it is just fine. I found that the switch was no longer availabe and rebuilt the switch and installed relays to carry the power of the fan and compressor instead of the switch. The switch operates just as it did in the past but now the relays hidden in the dash do all the current carrying. Does your car exibit any signs of just blowing fuses when on high speed? John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THATS IT!! It blows fuses on high speed but not on med. or low. So your saying its NOT the blower or resistor!? ::

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It could still be the fan. The system sure seems to work so much better on Hi doesn't it! There was just a high resistance connection at the switch and it burned up the back of the switch at the high connection point. That high resistance problem is now gone thanks to that pain in the butt relay setup I installed and now the factory fuse size does not blow. John

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Same here... My CAA system only blew the fuse on High. The amps would increase with the engine RPMs. So when set on "2," the A/C amps wouldn't "rev" too high. When set on "3," it received more juice than it was supposed to – thus blowing the fuse.

As I said – the voltage regulator was the culprit in my case. Just because it worked last week, doesn't mean it will this week... They've gotta go bad sometime! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts