Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions…

First, I own a 68 coupe that came with factory A/C and I want to upgrade the system to something that does not require vacuum such as classic auto airs system.

I understand classic auto air has an “auxiliary kit” for mustangs that came with factory A/C but the looks of the hardware to make it work that sits in the engine compartment are an eye sore to say the least and will not fly in my car.

I would like to avoid getting a “general” evaporator and blower assembly that would require a bunch of under dash modification.

Can someone please point me in the right directions on what to do?

Second question, does anybody out there make a polished factory condenser?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'd call CAA, they might put together an electric conversion kit for you, since you don't need the whole system, just the electric control bits.

Honestly though, I don't understand a lot of people's beef with vacuum operated AC controls, they are SOP in my '98 Nissan and quite a few '08 models AFAIK.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Have thought about adding indash AC in my 68 302. I have the original stuff in engine cmpt including a new Factory style condenser and dryer. Only diff. is a Sanden compressor.

Talked to Classic twice..... yesterday to a tech and today to a salesperson. For the indash setup you can use the original style hoses. The tech said they sell hoses that can be cut to fit and they will do that

You can use the original registers and I have them also. They said that a kit with adapters is required to use them. That kit was pricey at about 145.

Was fortunate that I got connected with a guy named Steve and his ext is 237. He should be able to answer any questions. Originally had planned on using the underdash unit which I have. Don't care for it's looks but am undecided at the thought of dropping a grand, give or take, to have the indash setup.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the post but are the vacuum motors on the '67-'68 AC system rebuildable?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anbody else care to chime in... please!?!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
but the looks of the hardware to make it work that sits in the engine compartment are an eye sore to say the least and will not fly in my car.
Are you referring to the cable operated lever to close the heater hose water flow? This is the only underhood difference from a stock Ford system. The cable and lever are a clean system and do not cause any underhood distractions.

We used the Classic Air underhood system on a car last year. Went with the polished compressor and auxillary kit to retain the original factory AC controls. The system works flawlessly and is easy to install.

Any piece of aluminum can be polished.

My sig has a linked underhood video titled "engine running". The underhood components of the AC system are all visible. If you need any detailed photos, let me know. This car should be back in my shop by the end of the week.

Dave

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
james_e said:
Don't mean to hijack the post but are the vacuum motors on the '67-'68 AC system rebuildable?
Yes.

Prestidigitator said:
Anbody else care to chime in... please!?!
I have a restored factory a\c system in my 67 fastback. The vacuum motors and the vacuum controls work perfectly. If the rest of your stock system is in decent shape I would recommend getting a sanden compressor and refurbish whatever else needs it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maser, is there a kit for the vacuum motors, or will I need to fab something up?

I have to admit that I haven't looked at them too closely, so it could be really easy or a pain--I don't know.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
james_e said:
Maser, is there a kit for the vacuum motors, or will I need to fab something up?

I have to admit that I haven't looked at them too closely, so it could be really easy or a pain--I don't know.
I had mine rebuilt by Classic Auto Air together with some other pieces. They may have a rebuild kit. The vacuum motors are pretty simple internally (a diaphragm). You may also find good used ones in the classifieds here or on eBay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts