Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a factory correct A/C system in my '66 Coupe. I have 2 questions though. The lower hole that is drilled out to run the line to the evaporator, I assume it is drilled from the outside and the reason why the valance needs to be removed. While the upper hole is drilled from the inside. (If someone can post 2 good pictures of these holes that would be great and a measurement of where the upper hole is for the line from the edge of the support. Where my upper dimple is, it looks like the outer edge of the hole will be right on the edge of the support.

My second question is when I remove the radiator, everything I have read says to get a scrap piece of copper tubing to run my transmission lines thru. Where can I get a scrap piece of tubing and it looks like it is 6" long?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Are you talking about the 1.5 inch holes at the top and bottom of the radiator core support that the discharge hose (top) and liquid line (bottom) connect to? Assuming you have a V8 car.

If those are the holes you’re referring to, there should be dimples in the core support to give you an idea of where to drill with the hole saw. Of course you should check to make sure these are good locations regarding the hose alignment.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ok just read where you said that the upper dimple is too close to the edge of the support. I’ve found out the hard way that repro condensers don’t always align with the dimples. My top hole is 2 inches from the inside edge of the core support and about 3.5 inches from the top edge of the core support. Again check to be sure. You know, measure twice cut once and all that Jazz. attach the discharge hose to the condenser and let it hang down. You can tell by the bend in the steel part of the hose where to mark for your drill bit.

Not sure what you’re trying to do on the auto trans lines to the radiator.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
My 65 has AC so I want to throw this out for you to consider.

Some people mod the support to fit a 20" radiator in a 65/66.

That is not possible if you run the hoses in the factory location. The compressor hose would need to be outboard, roughly above the voltage regulator.

If I could fit a 20" radiator in my 65 I would and may do so if I ever have to evac the AC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts