Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a little of a delimma, as I was going to replace the compressor ports on my York A/C compressor (from a 1966, fromwhat I know), because my service ports do not have 'shutoff' valves on them. I was going purchase the service ports/valves that NPD sells, but they use a nut to attach to the compressor. My compressor has only o-rings and a foot that takes two bolts to attach the service port to the top (really the side) of the compressor. I looked in the Mannel book, and there is no mention of this type of service port.
It is definitely a York, as there is a tag on the side of it.

My questions are:
1) Do I have some sort of unique or oddball compressor?
2) Can I just pick up new o-rings that are the same size (my feelings at this time) or do I need a 'specialty' o-ring?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12287439&p=44845480.jpg

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The shutoff valves you refer to are actually called Schrader valves. I'll bet you have a "hang on" aftermarket York compressor. Consider a Sanyo compresser.... I've got one, very little drag, cools excellent! "O" rings are avalable at most good parts stores.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, I bought the entire system form a guy who lives nearby. It is from a 1966 Mustang. The system works well, and I have been considering the rotary compressor (smaller, and uses less HP). But I need to stop spending money on my Mustang for a while. Anyhow, I will call the local Air conditioning/radiator shop to try to locate the o-rings. Thanks for the reply.
Would the tag on the compressor indicate it is a 'hangon' system compessor?

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12287439&p=44845480.jpg

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Not totally sure of this, but an original compressor would be all cast iron and the tag would be FoMoCo.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

·
Registered
660 Posts
A "shrader valve" is the name for the "pin" valve mechanism found in the "port" that accepts the refrigerant. Its exactly like the inner tube "stem valve". The "shut off" or "service vale" is the component that bolts to the compressor and has covers or caps that protect the "stems" that are used to open or close the valve. One uses a refrigeration wrench to "front seat,mid seat,or back seat" these types of valves. The service valves shown in NPD are exactly like the ones on my 1970 Mach1. I also have a York compressor. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts