Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gor a Holley A/C "kick-up" solenoid and need some help with the wiring. I can't find where i am supposed to tap into or how I'm supposed to wire this thing anywhere.

Has anyone installed one before and how did you wire it?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
If you want it for Increasing the idle when the A/C is on, connect it to t(e A/C clutch power feed.

Reactions: awhtx

·
Premium Member
11,747 Posts
If you have the factory A/C wiring harness there is a bullet connector in the wire between the firewall and the A/C clutch. Get some crimp-on bullet connectors of the appropriate size (.156", .180" or .188") and some wire and make a Y connector to tap into that wire for power to the Fast Idle Solenoid.

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
Pics aren't showing. Start at the A/C compressor clutch, there's a black wire (or black w/yellow dots) that leads back to the firewall. You can tap in at the compressor bullet connector, or back by the firewall connector.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
So i don't see much for wiring. The only wiring i can find is the two wires that look like they come off a pressure switch (picture). Should i be looking in another location?
View attachment 760142 View attachment 760142
If you have a pressure switch your system isn’t stock. Ford dint use a pressure switch in the Classic Fords. In any case the power should run through the pressure switch and then to the clutch. Ther pressure switch cuts the power to the clutch if the pressure is too low or too high. As Hemikiller said, start at the A/C clutch (behind the pulley) and find the wire. Follow it to a bullet connector. That’s where you can easily tap it for power.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a pressure switch your system isn’t stock. Ford dint use a pressure switch in the Classic Fords. In any case the power should run through the pressure switch and then to the clutch. Ther pressure switch cuts the power to the clutch if the pressure is too low or too high. As Hemikiller said, start at the A/C clutch (behind the pulley) and find the wire. Follow it to a bullet connector. That’s where you can easily tap it for power.
No, mine is not stock it is a vintage air.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Vintage Air should have a black wire off the compressor as mine does. Splice into that and it should work.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so i have a black wire coming off the compressor that links to a green wire (which come off a relay) then goes into a bullet which then goes into the pressure switch. Tried getting a pic of it all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts