Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost bought an A/C recharge kit from WalMart last night. Had the necessary hoses and gauge and can of 134A; but it also said it had a "stop leak." (I assume mixed with the 134A because there wasn't anything separate in the kit.)

I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure what the stop leak was. I do have a leak – and know right where it is. I have the hoses to fix it too – just not the time at the moment.

Can anyone elaborate on what the stop leak is and what it does to the system? I don't want to put any "gunk" into my brand new A/C when I'll be repairing it properly next month. But then on the other hand – if this stuff works...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
From the "purists" point of view, I don't want that stuff in any of my A/C systems. Even the red dye. If it is leaking, I will eventually find it with one kind of sniffer or another. John

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'm not an expert on this subject, but I did use one of the "stop leaks" in an AC unit once, with good results. It is activated by air at the point of leak. The Mfgr claims it will not harm any components of the system. The only time I would do this is if the evaporator had a leak. If you can fix your leak with a hose, then that's what I suggest you do, instead of introducing something into the system with questionable results and potential repurcussions down the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts