Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my underdash a.c. does anyone have any advise to mount, apparently I have to drill holes. If I move it to the passenger side the a.c. lines could be close to heater, if I move it to the drivers side your foot will be between the gas pedal and a.c. Also where in the firewall do you drill holes for lines, right left of heater hoses. Thanks for your wisdom

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
On my 66 there were holes punched in the lower dash already for the evaporator case.
The ash tray is just about dead center of the evaporator with the left edge of the evaporator case lining up just underneath the cig lighter. The holes in the firewall were to be routed through the driver side of the firewall. There was an oval shaped punch out in the firewall that I knocked out that the grommet and bracket fit into that allows for the hoses and clutch wire to pass through to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We have just added A/C in my convertible and what erials say is correct. However my evaporator seems to be centered to the console, we had no way to fit it more to the right, it touched the heater so thats was the only way it fitted there. Hoses goes through that punch out oval hole in the drivers side, and in our case, it was VERY tough to remove it.! Still fighting to put the grommet there!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Going thru the same decision putting a 65 unit in my 66.
Yep, moving the unit to the right is limited due to heater in the back.
Yep, worries about unit impingeing on the drivers right leg and access to the accel pedal.
A local old timer Mustang guy says unit should be centered with the console.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm working on my underdash a.c. does anyone have any advise to mount, apparently I have to drill holes. If I move it to the passenger side the a.c. lines could be close to heater, if I move it to the drivers side your foot will be between the gas pedal and a.c. Also where in the firewall do you drill holes for lines, right left of heater hoses. Thanks for your wisdom
How about wiring? where does the power come from, do you add a relay to system?

·
Registered
565 Posts
The attached pictures are from the 1966 Electrical Assembly Manual, however, I would think (?) that 1965 would be similar. Note that the evaporator unit is to be centered on the centerline of the car. Two, 5/16" holes are to be provided (ie you need to drill them) at 8.41" left, and 8.41" right of the centerline of the car.

Hope this helps.

Bob
1965-66 Air Conditioning0003.jpg
1965-66 Air Conditioning0004.jpg
1965-66 Air Conditioning0005.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The attached pictures are from the 1966 Electrical Assembly Manual, however, I would think (?) that 1965 would be similar. Note that the evaporator unit is to be centered on the centerline of the car. Two, 5/16" holes are to be provided (ie you need to drill them) at 8.41" left, and 8.41" right of the centerline of the car.

Hope this helps.

Bob View attachment 745952 View attachment 745953 View attachment 745954 .
That is very helpful. I should have asked first. I bought a Olde Air condenser with passenger side drier and hose fittings, thinking I was running lines like a Foxbody. Now I need to figure out the mess I created.

·
Registered
532 Posts

Hope this helps.

Bob.
Bob,
THANKS!

·
Premium Member
12,028 Posts
How about wiring? where does the power come from, do you add a relay to system?
You connect a yellow wire with an inline fuse to the center stud on the back side of the ignition switch and it goes into the evaporator case to the Fan switch. From there a black wire continues over to the Temp switch. and a black wire comes out of there and goes to the compressor clutch.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Here are some pics of my factory 66 AC unit. Center the ac unit on the console. There should be an oval punch out in the firewall. Look just medially from the MC and slightly below. Last picture shows the hole without the rubber hose seal in place.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts