Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This may not be the right place for this, but...

I’m stuck in Ellensburg, WA with a dead ignition, it seems.

The car is a 70’s Ford Maverick with a 302 V8 and a pertronix ignitor ignition.

Nobody is open on memorial day weekend, a points ignition won’t fit in the flamethrower distributor, and the coil isn’t bad.

Is there anyone that would know of some resources in the area that could help me out? I have a friend/other car with me, but no way to find another pertronix TODAY...

It’s cranking, battery is good, gas is flowing, no spark at the plugs though.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
O’Reilly auto is open . Some of the stores do carry the #1281 pertronix.
Or throw in a points distributor and a cap adapter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O’Reilly auto is open . Some of the stores do carry the #1281 pertronix.
Or throw in a points distributor and a cap adapter.
Yeah the oreily’s here says they can get it.. in 3 days. NAPA’s are supposed to have it, but they are all closed today too.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,590 Posts
Unfortunately I'm no help here - but when you do get the chance to fix this right, throw the Flamethrower dizzy in the garbage. I have seen a lot of them fail, and like you say, there's not really any way to swap to points for a 'quick fix' when they die. I use a stock dizzy with a Pertronix I for this reason.

Have you asked the OReillys to check for where the nearest 1281 is? It might be that they can only get a unit in to their store in 3 days, but that another store nearby has one. Since you've got a friend and another car, it's worth a shot.

Reactions: P-51

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
You could just get a reman points distributor and drop that in. Or a Duraspark, a box and wing together a harness with butt connectors and ring terminals.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Managed to find a new flamethrower distributor, pulled the pertronix out of it and replaced it. Cranked the car... nothing..

Bypassed ignition switch putting a wire on + battery side of solenoid and + side of coil...nothing

Bought a new coil, installed and cranked.. nothing

Car cranks and squirts gas, but doesn’t even try to start. What else could it possibly be?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
901 Posts
Is the rotor turning?
Check for this and I would see if you are getting spark to a spark plug. Since you have 2 of the 3 needed from your update. You have Air and Fuel just need the spark.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Automatic or Standard trans? Can you try popping the clutch if Standard trans????? I hope you get it home safely.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Automatic or Standard trans? Can you try popping the clutch if Standard trans????? I hope you get it home safely.
Not implying anything here but did you put the rotor in the disy, and the magnetic trigger on the lobes, Is the rotor turning? Do you have 12 volts on the red wire going to the 1281? If you have the red wire hooked to the + side of the coil remove it and run a jumper to the + side of the solenoid and give it a try. Don't leave it hooked up with out the eng. running or it will burn up the 1281.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
I'm in Walla Walla, if you find the part you need is here I can pick it up and run it to you, you never know where NAPA hides their parts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all,

Still trapped here. I have a new friend coming up from Seattle to bring a standard distributor so i can use points/condenser and install a ballast resistor so he should be here in a couple hrs. We think there’s a possibility that the new ignition module is also a dud. No multimeter, but found a test light and will be poking around.

Rotor is rotating, no spark to the plugs either. Got the carb held open to dry in case i flooded the engine. Jumped the battery, took it to autozone to get it tested and it’s good. Cranks well. Small play in the vacuum advance plate but the gap looks good.

Picked up a gas can just in case it’s somehow fuel but it’s been squirting gas in the engine all day. Very glad it’s not raining anymore!

Will spend some time taking a break and organizing my tools again before reinforcements arrive. Can’t figure out why it would just suddenly die on the highway out of nowhere, and then just completely refuse to try and start. No sputter, nothing.. gotta be spark.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in Walla Walla, if you find the part you need is here I can pick it up and run it to you, you never know where NAPA hides their parts.
Hey this is an awesome offer, thank you so much. My final destination is actually near Walla Walla, i only had a couple hours to go! I’ll let you know if it comes down to this but i hope not haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts