Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just painted the heads on my 390 before the bottom of the motor went bad and now that the heads and intake have been sitting in the garagethey have accumulated some dirt even though they had been covered up, so my question is how do I give the a good cleaning without taking hte paint off or have them rust. I dont own an air compressor to blow the out the water from the ports if I use soap and water. Thanx

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you have a shop vac, reverse the hose and blowdry them after using soap and water. If not, I'd say that a couple of cans of WD-40 might do the trick. Just let them drain off well afterwards and buff them with a terrycloth towel.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Just wipe your parts off with a damp cloth and dry with another. Spray a little WD as suggested on the bare metal surfaces. Wipe off any excess. If the parts are still going to sit, maybe put them in plastic trash bags. They will stay cleaner.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to add-on to the other replies, after you wash and get most of the water off, use a heat gun or hair dryer on the hottest setting to "dry" them even better. Then use WD-40 on the bare metel.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts