Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but I am trying to learn more about the engine types.Are there any differences between the A-Code and C-Code 289s other than the 2V / 4v carbs?Are there any distinguising marks, etc. that allow you to tell the difference between the two?Thanks for your input.Eric

G

·
0 Posts
A code had 225hp with the 4v intake and carb, C code had 200hp with the 2v intake and carb. As far as I know there are no other differences.....

TJ
66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

G

·
0 Posts
I think there's a difference in the heads as well - someone else will be able to elaborate on this...

Isn't there a slight difference in compression ratio? (Sorry, I don't have my shop manual handy...)

Steve
67 Merc Cougar
67 Stang rag

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It depends on where you get the info, but the C code had 9.3:1 compression and the A code had 10:1 compression.

I think the heads were the same, the difference was in the pistons.

I'm sure one of our engine experts will be by soon to straighten us all out.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If I remember correctly the C engine has dished pistons while the A code is flat.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I agree with Blue finger and DeanT, Heads were the same and the pistons were flat top instead of dished.. It will have a 4 bbl carb on a cast iron intake. I owned one in high school and it ran better than the Cs with a 4 bbl added to them. that extra compression made the difference. John

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a C code 289 to an A code 289 swap in my 66 coupe and the pistons were flat in the A code engine and dished in the C code engine. Both engines were bone stock. Of course the A code didn't end up that way. A little head work, etc. and she was a real runner! :: ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts