Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a warning to those that need to replace a lower door hinge. I got into a mess today. I tried to do it without removing the fender. 5 hours later, I finally got it installed but it was a nightmare! Finally got the gaps looking pretty good but will have to do some window adjusting tomorrow. Im pretty sure I could have pulled the fender and did the whole job in half the time I spent today. This old man is hurting in places I didnt even know existed !

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
I liked where the door was on my son's 66, needed to change the hinge that was missing the spring and arm for one that had it. So, I marked the perimeter of the old hinge with a fine Sharpie, opened the door and used a jack and 2×4 wrapped in a cloth to support it without lifting too much, unbolted the lower hinge and replaced it with the other. It would be much easier with the fender off, but I didn't need that kind of job. I just used a wobbler socket to get the bolts started by hand and tight with a ratchet when I got the hinge inside my Sharpie lines. It may not be perfect but it is where it was before and so is the fender !

·
Registered
35,844 Posts
I've extracted lower hinges for repair. Not too big a deal really. Typically 1-2 of the bolts can be reached with the door open. The rest are easily reached with a door hinge wrench. I use a pencil, not a Sharpie, because it's more accurate and easier to remove the mark. Support the door with a padded floor jack.

·
Registered
21,010 Posts
I had trouble with my driver's door, somehow the alignment was off. Probably due to worn hinge but I had to do something. I took a old wrench, cut the end off then welded a piece of rebar at 90° to look like the wrenches 22GT uses.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
At this point, I have had the fender on and off so many times that I am not about to mess around trying to change hinges with it on....those jamb plates make the task difficult enough already....cant count how many times they have fallen loose...especially the upper one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the drivers side lower hinge on this morning only to find that the roller was frozen on it. Tried everything to free it including a torch. CJ Pony is sending me another one. This one went a little easier than the right side but I chipped the paint on the leading edge of the door.......

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I got the drivers side lower hinge on this morning only to find that the roller was frozen on it. Tried everything to free it including a torch. CJ Pony is sending me another one. This one went a little easier than the right side but I chipped the paint on the leading edge of the door.......
Are you saying the roller was frozen as new from CJ? Or that the old one was frozen?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That's unfortunate...especially annoying to find out AFTER installation. I guess its something to watch out for though. Since I will be ordering new hinges soon myself(the ones I rebuilt had the roller broken off and rather than fool with them anymore, I will just buy new ones), I will take the opportunity to make sure I check that beforehand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts