Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem: at a recent large national show, it was pointed out to me that my clutch cross shaft did not have any "QC" markings on it. So, I went and looked at one of the judges car, his was marked in white. It was also suggested to me to buy and follow all the little details from those Assembly Manuals. After all, those are copies of the original.
OK, I buy the Assembly Manuals, look up the clutch linkage, and, is says "orange marking". Now what???

AND, It was pointed out to me that "I don't have a trunk light"?? So? I've owned it since 1971, and, it didn't have one then. "Nah, all the Shelbys had them" I really don't think so, but I did just buy one on Ebay, but I'm not sure yet about putting it on. Anybody else with a 67 Shelby with/with out the trunk light??

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny, this is like shooting a moving target. When I SHOW them that that IS how it was built, they come up with "no way", and when I change it to "their" way, they say the book doesn't show it like that....

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Doesn't MCA have a "clearing house?" I'm thinking of sort of an adjudicating committee that you would present these kinds of inconsistencies to. They would rule on it and advise you (since you're willing to stick to their rules anyhow), and could provide you with written confirmation that you can present to judges at the local MCA shows.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Paint the bar pink and enter the car in the modified field. I always have fun at shows since people can either like my car and it wins an award or not like it and it doesn't win an award...no bean counting required. ::

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sounds catch 22 like to me!
Thank God I'll never have to go through that experience.
Who'd want a concourse correct Shelby anywy? Certainly not me! ::

G

·
0 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know who told you these things? MCA? SAAC? Were they a national certified or gold card judge?

The assembly manuals are great references but I always caution to replicate what you find on your car first before replicating what's in the manuals. There are many inconsistincies and most importantly there could have been revisions of a drawing over the course of the production year which muck up things even worse.

Regarding the trunk light... if you are sure you have the original trunklid and never a sign of a light then don't worry about it. You can respectfully disagree, but you might ask the judge what basis they have for believing they all came with a light.

For all those other posts that think this is insignificant and wonder who would ever want a concours Shelby... if you don't have anything positive to say then keep your comments to yourself. We all enjoy this hobby in different ways, just because some don't do it your way doesn't mean it's the wrong way. Lighten up fellas :(

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Mine has the original deck lid and it doesn't have a trunk light.

·
Registered
406 Posts
As with what Charles says, which show? MCA...SAAC? Was the judge certified or a Gold Card? Personally, I wouldn't trust a SAAC judge for anything!

Orange quality marks were used on the 4-speed transmission linkage ends. The markings on the transmission casing were in yellow.

I assume you are talking about your 67 Shelby. For the record, 67 Shelbys did not come with a trunk light...no where to effectively mount it. However, all 68 Shelbys did come with a trunk light. Maybe this "judge" got his years confused...

Regards,

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I've done both, owned a MCA Concours Trailered 67 GT500 (#726, no trunk light) and I've participated in drag racing, restomodding (before it was called that) and road course action.

So I feel like I can say;

Show a little respect!

Some of the nicest people in the hobby are concours people, get off your "high horse" and be sociable... I can guarantee you'll enjoy the hobby much more.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
My councours Shelby has no light. As for who would want a concours Shelby, I have one, I drive it and it's alot of fun. Who says you can't drive a concours Mustang????? Only people who can't understand how to build one I would suspect... :: ::

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think Rich's comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. Who (in the Musatng hobby) would want a concourse 67 Shelby?

Everybody!! ::

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok all, first thing is that I DO drive it. Just not as much now that it is in show condition.
Paint it pink?, I have thought of doing a 69 Shelby that way, they made one like that, gave it to the Playmate of the year...My wife would like that. But prices have got away....
I used to have headers, side pipes, drag raced it, off road auto crossed it (one time), auto crossed it. Been all there and done all that.
Pete et all: My Shelby is one of those early wierd cars. It has the Mustang metal underlined hood and deck lid, so provisions for the trunk light are there, Fomoco stamped them in. So I could see that, maybe, mine might have it but I still don't think so. It wasn't there when I bought it in 1971.
Charles you've got mail.
And, this was at a SAAC event, but I do show it at MCA events (I'm not a member) and also ISCA events (very rarely.) Tough to balance the 3 sets of judges.
SAAC's problem is that there is no rule book of how things should be. (too tough they say for cars so custom built)
I'm just trying to add a few more points to the judging sheet, those that are necessary hat is.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Rich,

I owned a 67 Shelby Clone. I also have a modified 95GT. I'm currently restoring a 70 SCJ-R Sportsroof to concours specs. I appreciate ALL versions of the Mustang. In my humble opinion, the concours guys do a lot more to carry on the historical perspective of the mustang heritage than anyone else in the hobby. I appreciate those consours guys purely from the perspective that they carry on the hostorical accuracy of Ford's intent relative to the Mustang. Face it, if it was't for us councours guys, you might not even have the opportunity to salvage an old Mustang for restomad coversion in the first place. How many Granadas do you see on the road today, let alone at car shows?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yep! That's why I put the little smirky face on the end.
Sorry if I upset anyone. Just trying to be funny.
I'll go stand in the corner for a bit.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I am sociable, Art, really I am! Just having a bit o'fun, 'tis all.
I'd LOVE to have a concourse Shelby, Hell, I'd even like a new "Super Snake".

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Agreed.
Guess after my 68 is finished and the XR-7 is done, I'll have to do a concourse car myself, just to show I'm impartial.

Whew, glad I didn't say anything about politics or religon....

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
...And I apologize for my rather harsh reply... ::

It's just that concours competition has gotten such a bad rap on this forum and the concours people have somewhat of a non-flattering stereotype attached to them.

I was a little defensive, sorry!

G

·
0 Posts
Kinda like a dog gettin beat all the time. Sometimes we tend to strike back too quick.

Too many years of hearing the same ol thing from people about how concours is "stupid", "too girly", etc..

Ahh well, live-n-learn I guess.

::

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
No problemo here, Art.
Can't get the right voice inflection over the internet to make every comment come out the way I want.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts