Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a FE block bore measures 4.05 can you tell what CI displacement it has?? If it had a 428 crank and different pistons would that change the displacement and if so, to what?? Is it possible to have a 428 engine with a 4.05 inch bore?? The engine is casting# C6ME-A, could this be either a 390 or a 428?? Does a Police Interceptor engine of this vintage and 428 cubes ONLY come in a solid lifter format??? Any help on any of these questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
You need to measure the stroke to determine the displacement, the 4.05 bore could be had with 360, 390, and 410 cubic inch engines. Respective strokes would be 3.5, 3.78, and 3.98. My guess is you hae one of the latter two, you could make a 428 inch engine with a 4.05 inch bore but this would reuqire a custom crankshaft with a 4.15 inch stroke. I'm pretty sure the early 428 PI engines all had solid cams, but I think they went hydraulic after a couple years, although I'm not positive of that fact, have a good one.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If a FE block bore measures 4.05 can you tell what CI displacement it has??

Sure! If you know the stroke

If it had a 428 crank and different pistons would that change the displacement and if so, to what??

bore x bore x stroke x .7854 x (number of cylinders)= C.I. Or to answer your question, 410CI.

Is it possible to have a 428 engine with a 4.05 inch bore??

Possible, but highly unlikely. Would require a custom stroke crankshaft.

The engine is casting# C6ME-A, could this be either a 390 or a 428??

Either.

Does a Police Interceptor engine of this vintage and 428 cubes ONLY come in a solid lifter format???

1966 P.I. engine blocks weren't machined for hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
428's were 4.13 bore. A C6ME would be the appropriate block for a 67 GT 500 that would have a C6OZ B hydraulic camshaft. It could also be the same # for a 390 block

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What you MIGHT have on your hands is a 410 Merc engine.they were 390 blocks,,with 4.05 bore and a 428 crankshaft,,thus giving 410 displacement.these were used for a couple of years in the full-size Merc. cars.BOATLOADS of torque.the crank will have a " 1-UA" or 1UB or 1U stamping somewhere on one of the big crank throws.If you find that,,then you have a 428 crank,,,in a 390 block.I have this exact setup in my 69 S-code Mach too.Performer heads,hot cam and PI intake will really be impressive about the power and incredible torque they make. Hope this helps. Jeff K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts