Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions first is a couple of days ago I picked up a used gas tank for my 65 fb the tank was new 2 years ago then the guy wreaked the car it had been sitting with gas in it for the last 2 years, when I pulled the tank and dumped the old fuel out some rusty water came out with it was wondering since I wont be putting it in the car for at least 6 months what can I do about the rust to stop it so I can store the tank and still be able to use it?
second question is have a brake booster from an 66 coupe and it is factory installed want to know if there is a way I can rebuild it myself without to much trouble or be better off trying to find a remaned one? :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
usually, to prevent oxidation in a fuel tank, you'd fill it and add fuel stabilizer. SInce you arent going to be mounting it for quite a while, id drain it completely and put dry cotton rags in the openings until you are ready to use it. At that point, id flush it again and if the fluid comes out clean i wouldnt worry. If there was rust coming out of it then, id take the tank to be boiled clean inside and then re-install it. Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts