Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I am looking at has a vinyl roof ( 3/4) it has several bubbles at the front edge of the vinyl part.... My questions are as follows:

1) How bad is it? if it bubbles is it swiss cheese and too late?>
2) Have any one of you did repair like this and what was it like.. How involved was it..

I would hate to let something like this get in the way of a great find but I HATE rust and the car is already at a pretty high dollar amount..

Any help/ suggestions would be great... Thanks!

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
The worst part about the 3/4 top is that it is secured under the drip rails. You have to remove the rails and the channel for the door weatherstrip to do it correctly. It is an opportune time to replace those seals, so I guess it's a mixed blessing.

The top shouldn't be more than $40~$80. Installation is free if you do it. An upholstery shop would probably charge a fair amount to do this job. Call around and get some estimates.....

If it just has a couple small bubbles, I'd not be too concerned with it. The rust is probably just a couple "zitz" right now. I'd definitly not base your purchase decision on this one thing. If it really bothers you, tell the owner that you'll buy the car if he has the top replaced and the rust fixed. You could aslo use it as a bargaining tool, which is where your estimates will come in handy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts