Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Curious... I've got a 67 coupe that I'd like to probably build up in about 2 years. I've got a couple other priorities first. Finishing up a 600hp desert truck. Then I want to dump about $2k into my van for some camping luxuries... And my house is paid off in about a year but I will need another year to be back good on savings. So that's my 2 year goal and it's very realistic. Over that time I'm budgeting to come up with about $10k in $$$ to throw at it. Performance, not concerned about cosmetic, interior. That's a different conversation.

Currently... Mildly built 302, port/polished, 351 cam, quality parts headers, full msd ignition and EFI Big Radiator, custom shroud. Medium build T5 for a solid 450-500 hp. Hydro clutch.

Weekend and evening cruiser in Vegas. Fair weather car... I do like to put distance under her. This past weekend did a 350 mile 90'ish degree ghost town cruise. Take it to Mammoth, SoCal. Want to start getting up into Northern Nv. and Utah more as things financially free up. Juggling seat time with it and the desert truck truthfully.

Things I'd like to increase... Who doesn't want more power? I'm not greedy... 50-75+hp? Will a Cam get me there? Other ideas? Budget?

Steering... It's got some slop in the wheel. At the top of the wheel, probably a solid inch or more back and forth. It does have the arning drop. I did that when I put the motor in.

Handling... I enjoy the corners yet I'd like some smoothness. I don't mind some increase in ride feel/roughness but I guess I"d like to keep it on bushings, not going rod ends per say or delron? It currently feels kinda boaty... I am a fabricator... built numerous race trucks including championship desert trucks. I'm not looking to go full caged but I'm not afraid of some grind, weld, metal work. I'd like to have anything be fairly straight forward... Line up with existing holes, tack, cycle, measure, adjust, weld in... Kinda that DIY is about as deep as I'd like to get into it. Not sure I want to cut out the front towers, would prefer to leave them.

Semi open to linking the rear and a housing if needed and in the budget. Would like to keep intrusion into the interior minimal but also not afraid to cut...

So, 67 coupe, what more info do you need to build me a shopping list? You have $10k What would you buy? Mentally dreaming/planning during strange times. LOL

Thanks,
Khris

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have a 67 coupe, similar foundation (EFI, roller 302, T5, 9" tru-trac with 3.89s, etc). As far as power, port/polish of stock heads could be very good or could be almost nothing as far as performance over stock. A set of aluminum heads and a cam and intake that are matched could yield a big improvement over current power. So a few grand in this area could be very worthwhile, plus taking weight (aluminum heads) off the nose of the car.

For my car, I bought as a project and the PO had purchased a complete Rod and Custom suspension set-up front and rear, as well as complete set of the 4 piston Wilwood disc kit front and rear. So I installed it in the car. That set-up would break your budget, and in learning more over the last few years I have been working on it, there are a lot of good things you can do for less money and less cutting. I love the power steering set-up. If you can find a power rack and pinion set-up, I think for driving enjoyment it's a great investment.

You don't mention brakes - I am trying to create a full driving experience car so I wanted great stopping power. These wilwoods feel very strong. Will see how they do after a track run.

Good luck! Create a build thread if you go that direction with the 67!

-- Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts