Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car at my house for 5 days, I wrapped it in plastic and did a little bug bomb action, I saw evidence of mice and other annoyances so I figured I'll just kill everything in the car and sort it all out during disassembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Few more...

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little damage on the driver door, rear bumper was pushed into the body, left quarter has some cancer. Fortunately the PO already had new bumpers, new door skin and a few other odds and ends.

Engine is the original 2 valve 289, not sure yet what the trans is and no idea about the rear end. There are 5 hub caps in the trunk, only 2 match and I have no idea what they fit. My focus will be total tear down, fix all the rust, and basically go resto mod with it. I'm giving myself 3 years, not sure if that is realistic or not but here goes the fun.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cool - even though I'm working on my own project I'm jealous of yours already!

Cheers
Grant
mymustangjourney.com

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,399 Posts
Nice car, looks like a solid project. Let the fun/madness begin...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Fun stuff! It reminds me a lot of my first Mustang I purchased, only yours came with a lot more spare parts and it’s a V8. I paid $350 20 years ago (which was a steal)... if you don’t mind sharing, what did that run ya?

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I paid $2500, I found it on FB marketplace 20 minutes after it was listed, contacted him and made arrangements to go look at it the next Sunday. An hour later he messaged me confirming I was coming Sunday because he had over 20 messages of people saying they would pay more to get it now. He was honorable and stuck to our agreement so now I own it.

·
Super Moderator
9,571 Posts
Nice score.

We have a Build Section for projects such as this.

I’d like to follow the work.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the tear down/build starts my wife and I will be photographing everything. If you saw in my newbie post this is her dream car so that gives me the extra motivation/easier excuse to spend $$ on a project.

·
Dimples
4,372 Posts
Very cool, enjoy the process.

Those pics look very similar to what's sitting in my garage right now, except my daughter's 66 coupe project was already blown apart when we got it.

What are your plans for it as far as colors and the overall look? For instance, I'm about halfway through shaving the antenna on my daughter's 66.

·
Super Moderator
9,571 Posts
When the tear down/build starts my wife and I will be photographing everything. If you saw in my newbie post this is her dream car so that gives me the extra motivation/easier excuse to spend $$ on a project.
Continue to post here and I’ll move the thread.

What’s the Build Thread title that you want,....I’ll change the title when I move it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Engine is the original 2 valve 289, not sure yet what the trans is and no idea about the rear end. There are 5 hub caps in the trunk, only 2 match and I have no idea what they fit. My focus will be total tear down, fix all the rust, and basically go resto mod with it. I'm giving myself 3 years, not sure if that is realistic or not but here goes the fun.
Looks pretty complete, although it also looks like everything will either need to be replaced or, at least, cleaned up. Good luck with the project.

The two wheel covers that match are the standard ones for 1966. The wire wheel with the spinner was optional in 1966 (maybe other years as well). The spinner is toast, but you can get repops pretty easily (~$45 when I was looking for mine). There is a market for these (relatively small though). Check for listings on ebay if you're looking for comparisons.
The other one with a spinner is from 1965 and I think the last one was from some other Ford (non-Mustang).

The 'V' in 2V 289 stands for venturi.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You got a $2500 hubcap assortment with a free car! :ROFLMAO:

Cool score. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts