Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed the center section so a local shop can rebuild it (going from 2.80 to 3.55 gear and adding a posi).
All of a sudden I got a case of "while I'm at it". I figured I may as well pull the housing out and detail it and since the housing is out I may as well replace the original leaf springs. I have never done a job like this so I hope some of you guys can answer a few questions for me. Here goes:

1. Is it O.K. to jack the car by the axle housing with the center section out?

2. Any pointers on removing housing and springs, proper sequence of removal?

3. What is the best (safest) place to position jack stands for doing this?

4. I plan on getting 4 1/2 leafs from Mustang Plus, should I get mid eye or reverse eye.

Sorry if some of the questions seem dumb I'm new at this and I just want to get it right the first time.
Thanks

·
Registered
923 Posts
1.yes

2. see below

3. just forward of the leaf spring attachment point is a flat place. Place your jacks there

4. I really don't know we got the Canadian Mustang real big kit and it was the OEM sttle leaf springs.

Your jb is not that difficult but you will need the following
1. A sawzall
2. Jack stands.
3. A floor jack to lower the axel.
4. Of course the normal wrenches and sockets

Jack the car up and place it on the jacks. Remove the parking brake cables, or loosen them so they will allow the axel to fall. Unbolt the u bolts holding the axel to the leaf springs. Support the axel under the pumpkin with the floor jack. RElease the rear leaf spring bolts. Allow the lear spring rears to fall. then if the car is high enough , you can drop the axel
(with someone steadiing it) using the floor jack. All items must be released from the axel prior to dropping the axel. Brake lines, parking brake cables, axel vent hose.
The real problem may be in trying to get the leaf spring front bolts out. Usually they have to be cut out with a sawzall.
Now its all apart, and you have to get it together
Consider new brakes while your at it. Consider a new vent hose. Check your parking brake cables while thier out. Consider new brake lines. Check your axel bearings while their out. paint and recondition your backing plates. and of course the axel.
We brought our axel to an axel shop, for $25 the steam cleaned the unit and painted it. I would have spent $25 on wire brushes just to clean it.
Dave

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I've never had to cut front leaf spring bolts to get leafs out.....just eat your wheaties!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, exactly the info I needed. I am going to replace the brakes and lines. And I just bought a Porter Cable recip. saw at a local flea market a couple of weeks ago looks like it's going to get broken in. I read here one time about a special blade for this, do you know what kind and how many I may need?

·
Registered
923 Posts
You can use a metal cutting blade, but you may go through 4-5 of them. You could also get a carbide impregnated blade. I used just one.

Or you could eat your Wheaties. I tried a 500 FtLb torque wrench and 3 days of soaking the bolts with penetrating oil, and still had to cut them off.
The Wheaties factor depends on how long the bolts have been on the car and what kind of rust has built up in the bolt/eyelet area.
You'll be happy you have the sawzal because Mr Wheaties may have all the strengh in the world, but us mear mortals have tools.
Dave

P.S. Sharkmouth fill out your bio, you seem to have a lot of info and typing skills, but we would like to know where the info is coming from

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've never had to cut the bolt out either. Actually, on my '68 that I'm working on now, I took the nuts off the front mounting bolts and pushed the bolts out with my fingers.

·
Registered
967 Posts
They bi-metal blades for the sawzall are joke do not even waste your time or money. The blades you want are tungsten(spelling?). I could not find any of those blades locally and tried the bi-metal. I went through 4 of them and did not even get 1/4 of the way through the bolt. I ended up using my angle grinder to cut through the spring eye and then the bushing/bolt. My garage smelled horrible for about 2 weeks. The burning rubber made me want to throwup. Hopefully things will go smoother for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts