Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm curious about a few things about the R Models. I know many of them went on to race up to the present and so they changed to keep pace with safety standards etc. My questions relate to their original state as they were raced in the mid '60's.
1: Were they originaly equipped with cages or just the roll bar?
2: Were R models equipped with wooden aftermarket steering wheels or the leather wrapped ones?
3: Did they have or require on-board fire suppression other than a cab mounted fire extinguisher?
And my least question is with regard to the numbering of the cars. I notice many of them have letters after the numbers, ie: 61B or B/S. What is the meaning of them?
Thanks in advance.
:)
Dave

Oh yea, is there a book or publication which deals specifically with the racing Mustangs or the Men who drove them?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
1: Were they originaly equipped with cages or just the roll bar?
4 point bars

2: Were R models equipped with wooden aftermarket steering wheels or the leather wrapped ones?
wooden wheels, as the street cars came equiped with

3: Did they have or require on-board fire suppression other than a cab mounted fire extinguisher?
No

And my least question is with regard to the numbering of the cars. I notice many of them have letters after the numbers, ie: 61B or B/S. What is the meaning of them?
It refers to the class the car was racing in. The GT350 was originally slated to compete with the Corvette in SCCA'a B Production class, hence you'll see 'B/P' on them. Cars competing in other venues had letter designations appropriate for the respective sanctioning boby and class. In autocross (gymkawna) 'F/S' stood for F-Stock, 'C/P' for C-Prepared, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts