Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and colleague asked me to post in the Mustang Club newsletter that his rear end is slowly giving out, and was looking for 4 lug 8 or 9" rear ends, as no one makes 7.75" gears. I told him that there is no such beast as a 4 lug 8" rear, only 5 lugs.

Summit has some 4.8:1 and higher gears listed for 7.75", but nothing close to 3.0:1. Does anyone know where new gears can be procured? Most of the other stuff can be gotten from mustang catalogs, except the actual gears.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
I think he will have to go used.

At least he will know they haven't been drag raced :)

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry: 67 or 68. He has a 200 CID. The car is actually a hybrid, with a 67 front clip and a 68 rear. Titled as a 68. Go figure! It's also a convertible, and it's his daily driver. He also has a 66 GT FB like mine, and a 2001 coupe for the SWMBO.

G

·
Hey Midlife,

Actually, there ARE 4 lug 8" rears out there. Plenty of them. All you need to do is find a Maverick or a Comet with either a 170 or a 200. Mustang II's, Pintos, and Bobcats also have 4 lug 8" rears bolt the bolt spacing is not the same as the Mustang/Maverick.

Oh, and one more thing. The ring gear is actually a 7.25" gear. Have you called National Drivetrain? They might be able to hook you up. www.nationaldrivetrain.com

John

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
in a recent post on my 7 1/4 rear end a VMF regular told me that these gears are not available aand you need whole rear end from junk yard.

·
Premium Member
19,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that is what we're learning. Even Perogies didn't have the gears, nor did Nationaldrivetrain. Someone must still stock them: after all, they were installed on thousands of mustangs and Fords!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts