Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS I set here on Sunday evening, looking back at the weekend, I am surprised at how well all paint prep/body repair went. I got the crack in the hood repaired, the driver's front wheel well lip repaired, filled in all the divits in the paint caused by installing the hood scoop, hood locks, and rear light bezels too soon after the last paint job, drilled off the rocker molding mounting clips and filled all the holes, and even got the car running for the first time in about 5 or 6 months. The sanding is going well, although I have to get more sanding screens of a finer grit to work the surface for painting. I was thinking to myself how well everything was going, then started the car to back it out of the driveway and the starter solenoid hung up. All of a sudden there was this awful grinding noise, as the flywheel started dancing with the starter gear. I turned off the key, but the engine kept running!!!! opened the trunk and pulled the battery cable and that did the trick. Reattached the cable and the same thing happened - car started up without me turning the key. The fix was to get the big old rubber mallet and beat on the solenoid a half a dozen times. That seemed to fix everything. hmmmm, I wonder if the rubber mallet trick would work with people? Any volunteers?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nice to hear you're making progress.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That happened to me shortly after buying the car. I would plug the battery in and the sucker would try to turn on w/out the key in the ignition. Scary stuff for a 16 year old at the time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.