Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished putting my heads back on my Mustang. I will die a happy man if I never port another set of heads in my life!

I also found out why I don't like living in city limits... the neighbor came over twice telling me to be quiet. He was really nice about it though, said his baby was still sleeping (this was at 8am when I was finishing the porting job on the heads with the air die grinder), and just asked if I could wait another 30-45 minutes until he woke up. I said sure, no problem, and I took that time to go get valve stem seals.

After finishing the porting, I started assembly of the engine again. Everything was going ok until the time came for putting the intake manifold on. What a PITA!!!! The gaskets kept sliding around, silicone was getting everywhere, and I was not a happy camper pulling the intake in and out of the engine bay 5 or 6 times. Then when I finally got it on there correctly, I started to tighten it down and the damn gaskets were getting squeezed out! A lot of cussing and banging around and I finally got it to behave (I think, I am still unsure if it is leaking out the back gasket).

Once that was on it was clear sailing from there. I fired it up, and it sounded like a boat! Oops, forgot to tighten the exhaust collector gasket, oh well, its running and hot now, I can tighten it tomorrow. So I let it warm up, revving it a bit to make sure everything is ok, and look who is coming over again, its my neighbor! Only this time, his kids are going back to bed. He asked how much longer I was going to be working on it, and I said just another few minutes and it will be quiet again. He was again really nice about it, and I didn't realize what time it was... 8pm! Crap, I have been out there awhile!

So.... the car started, and ran pretty good considering the half open exhaust collector gasket making a bunch of racket. The engine seemed to rev a bit quicker, smoother, and higher (and I wonder why the neighbors get mad when I take it up to 5700rpm with an open header.... hehe). I took it on a test drive and it seemed to have good pickup, smoother acceleration than without the heads ported. But, I did notice that the thing was nosing over bad just past 4600rpm. I am guessing I have to recurve the distributor and/or mess with the timing some because I did have to remove the distributor to get the intake in. I didn't check timing when I put it back in, I just put it back where it was and called it good (it started and idled just like normal, so I figured it was in the right spot, but maybe not). So today I will mess with the timing and get it running good at high rpm at WOT.

A few questions:
Do I have to re-torque the heads? And if so, when?
What about the intake?
Does anyone else hate putting in intake manifolds as much as I do?

I will post again later today to give you the scoop on how much more power the motor has after the port job once I get the timing issue situated.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
A few questions:
Do I have to re-torque the heads? And if so, when?
What about the intake?
It is advisable to re-torque the head bolts after the engine has reached normal op temp the 1st time.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
What about the intake?
I recheck mine when I retorque the heads.

Actually, while most here tell you to chuck the cork gaskets, I always use them. You can get corks with adhesive on one side and peelaway paper. These are the best. Barring those, I just use a thin coat of permatex set the cork in place and let it tack up. Then I use a thin bead on top and at the joints with the manifold gaskets.

I also have 4 long bolts with the heads cut off that I screw into each of the 4 corners. Just drop the manifold on the bolts and let it drop into place. I've not had one leak yet (knocks wood!)

All tips picked up here on the VMF. Gotta love this place.

By the way: Where does the greasy nipple come into play?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the 4 headless bolts, but didn't do it, and I should have because the darn front and rear gaskets leak like a sieve!!!! Oil is everywhere on the front and back of motor from those damn seals sliding around. Ugh...

The greasy nipple is from me working on the car with no shirt on (it was about 90 degrees, and I was sweating like a pig after fighting that intake manifold). Not only was my nipple greasy, but my belly was quite filthy too :eek:.

I guess I will retorque the head bolts after I finish taking the intake off and resealing it.... man I hate that intake....

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
hehehe

I always use the corkers too. My trick is to TRIM both ends to make it lay flat on the surface. That means cutting off the little notch and creating a new one that slides easily into the other gasket notch. Coat the corners real good with rtv, as well as a light coat on the top/bottom of the cork gasket then align and lay the intake on the motor then start all the bolts - but don't tighten ( if the corkers are already touching the intake ). Wait 15min for things to start to stick, then tighten things down while watching the gaskets closely to make sure they're not moving. If it does happen to try to move outward, use yer finger the keep it steady.

Hope that helps! Just did it 3 weeks ago without leaks! ::

GL

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
As a father of a child who has difficulty sleeping, I thank you for being neighborly.

My neighbors think nothing about blowing the leaves off their roof at 7:30am... 15ft from my son's bedroom window...

·
Registered
846 Posts
A greasy nipple and a motor that runs!.....WOW I was on the wrong page when I read that subject!!! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts