Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a nice afternoon popping out the windshield and rear window on the car. Which got me to thinking...

(1) How can anyone remove the stainless trim pieces without bending them all up. I gave up and threw them in the trash!

(2) Who has a rotisseri (sorry - spelling!) local to Torrance CA, that I can borrow/rent for a while?

(3) How would I media blast the car in my driveway? What media would I use? Can I rent the equipment?

You can tell I spent too much time scraping window sealer away from the unibody!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bent them during removal and re-installation. I got so frustrated I too threw my old trim pieces away. I'm considering having the pros do them at Mustang Country in Paramount.

G

·
I got my trim off easily. Its dented from previous use though. It takes a little paitence. You hvae to know what the clips look like and visualize whats happening when you hit them with the tool.

Regarding sandblasting in the driveway. If you have nearby neighbors, you will have nearby angry neighbors. Use blasting media other than sand to aviod silicosis. I use aluminum oxide. Wear a respirator (not one of those stupid white masks). If you can clean out the garage, that would be better, else I would sand off the finish. Variable speed angle sander with 80 grit will take it off just as well. Still wear a dust mask.

G

·
I am blasting parts (under carriage roof) of my car in the driveway. I lay down a 12 X 16 tarp and drive onto it (makes cleanup easier). I have a small $60 blaster from Sears and use Black Beauty media that I get for $12 per 100 lbs at the local tool rental outfit. I blast at 45psi and have no problems with heat or warpage. You'll need protective eye wear and a respirator. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts