Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 came out of hibernation very good almost no rust except ...... The hood which was worked on when I got her over 30 years ago.
Well I just thought a quick call to Johns Mustang a meer 80 miles from me would solve my problem.
So hood 179.95 and Shipping 139.95 So onto CJ Pony Black Friday Sale 99 Shipping $187.14
Truck shipping is no joke.....
o_O

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My 65 came out of hibernation very good almost no rust except ...... The hood which was worked on when I got her over 30 years ago.
Well I just thought a quick call to Johns Mustang a meer 80 miles from me would solve my problem.
So hood 179.95 and Shipping 139.95 So onto CJ Pony Black Friday Sale 99 Shipping $187.14
Truck shipping is no joke.....
o_O
Where are you located at? I can get that dynacorn hood cheaper than CJ’s. Unfortunately shipping can’t be helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yup, get on the road. I usually have NPD ship me my parts. When I got a couple fenders a couple years ago I just drove up there. Beats freight and got to inspect them before driving back.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I drove about 200 miles round trip to get my fiberglass hood from NPD. I have a co-worker who lives close to them, so planned a working lunch meeting...then hit NPD on the way home. Would have been easier to pay for shipping, but I couldn't see spending that much when it was close enough to drive.

Come up with a shopping list and buy more stuff you need while you're there.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
it's times like that when i'm glad NPD is only a 45 minute drive.

to op, I'd just hop in the truck and go get it. I know I wouldn't use $140 in gas for a 160 mile round trip

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sucks to pay the driver who hauls stuff from point A to B.

Mark
Its just funny when shipping cost as much or more than what being shipped. Hey shipping is just part of the game always factored into a part price.
Shipper have to eat to. LoL Its just funny that that 80 shipping is almost the same as that 1000 plus mile shipping. :giggle:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I need one fender and one door for my project If I order just one of them it's $145 to ship it. It's still the same amount to ship them both if bought at the same time. The drive to NPD will be a 7 hour round trip drive. I plan on making the drive to save on the shipping costs. I also have a part I need to return and if the back seat I need is still for sale, I can pick it up on my way there or back. The seller of the back seat does not want to ship. Just hoping I can work it all out.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
When I get orders drop shipped from dynacorn in PA, it’s roughly $120–$150 per pallet. Doesn’t matter if it has 1 door or 2 doors, quarters, trunk pan and floor pan. That’s east of Mississippi though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
I'd say $140 is pretty reasonable for shipping a hood, especially if it arrived undamaged.

I once needed to pick up a Mustang hood with GT350 scoop. No van, pickup, or even a big wagon was available. So I took the hood off my car, drove there, installed the hood, and drove back. The stuff we did back then…

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say $140 is pretty reasonable for shipping a hood, especially if it arrived undamaged.

I once needed to pick up a Mustang hood with GT350 scoop. No van, pickup, or even a big wagon was available. So I took the hood off my car, drove there, installed the hood, and drove back. The stuff we did back then…
That is thinking on ones feet. smart

·
Vendor
3,862 Posts
Drives my wife nuts, but any time she's ordering something large online, and telling me "and it's FREE shipping!!".. I have to remind her, "no sweetie, whatever the price is for that leather recliner you're buying, subtract $150 bucks from it, and that is ACTUALLY what the price of that recliner is.. The extra $150 in the price is what's covering the freight. You're paying it, there's nothing free to be seen here"..

And she just growls, and I've learned to just drop the subject.. ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts

The problem is getting that stuff delivered undamaged. Truck shippers seem to not really care about the stuff they ship for their customers. Yes you can get insurance but it generally only covers something like 40 cents per pound not value of the item. I have seen way too much stuff that is well crated just get destroyed by the truck shipping companies.

And for anyone in the Fort Worth area... I have a 5x10 trailer and if you ever need a hand hauling parts etc just ask as I am willing to help out. Can also haul stuff somewhat long distance if it's doable.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
A couple of years ago, I took some cedar logs over to my son in Ft Worth, he makes furniture and other wood stuff as a hobby. So on the way back I stopped in at Dallas Mustang, and picked up a hood, two front fenders and a windshield and back glass. Well worth the 580 mile round trip.

·
Registered
800 Posts
A couple of years ago, I took some cedar logs over to my son in Ft Worth, he makes furniture and other wood stuff as a hobby. So on the way back I stopped in at Dallas Mustang, and picked up a hood, two front fenders and a windshield and back glass. Well worth the 580 mile round trip.

I never bought anything from them. The few times I looked into it their prices were the highest on the market and being in Dallas it makes more sense to just order it and have it delivered.
We also have Summit now which carries some stuff which again I will have it delivered usually because the traffic getting there is horrible. South arlington has the worst traffic in DFW.

The other thing that few look into is find a local higher end restoration company. We have one here in Fort Worth and they can get most anything sheet metal wise within a day or so because there is a local stocking warehouse.

I don't build much with cedar but I do use cherry and Oak etc. My favorite wood is the logs of mesquite I use in the smoker.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I never bought anything from them. The few times I looked into it their prices were the highest on the market and being in Dallas it makes more sense to just order it and have it delivered.
We also have Summit now which carries some stuff which again I will have it delivered usually because the traffic getting there is horrible. South arlington has the worst traffic in DFW.

The other thing that few look into is find a local higher end restoration company. We have one here in Fort Worth and they can get most anything sheet metal wise within a day or so because there is a local stocking warehouse.

I don't build much with cedar but I do use cherry and Oak etc. My favorite wood is the logs of mesquite I use in the smoker.
If you like to smoke meats, try pecan or applewood

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you like to smoke meats, try pecan or applewood
Apple isn't good for stuff like Briskit that needs long smoke times of 10-18 hours. It's a little bitter for beef but good on other meats but apple is hard to get here other than overpriced bags at the store. I do use some pecan as we do have allot of pecan trees here. I prefer mesquite because I like the strong flavor it imparts. Most people don't like foods with strong smoke flavors as they are used to bland BBQ.
I usually have cherry scraps from the shop along with trash cans of planer and jointer shavings.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I replaced the hood on my 66 a little over a year ago unfortunately they are a large item to ship which end up being truck freight. When I placed the order the I wasn't thrilled about the $140 shipping charge, but when it arrived in perfect condition the cost was somewhat justified. They had the hood double boxed, with packing between boxes and the boxes were strapped to a wood frame. I appreciated the effort they made to ensure it would not be damaged.

I have ordered furniture with supposed free shipping that arrived in cheap tattered boxes.

In this case the shipping/freight charge was worth it in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts