Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Chrysler engineer friend of mine told me about the marvels of laser welding that is being used on the production lines more and more.

As he put it, the welds are perfect and almost invisible. I'm getting visions of star wars like beams flying across the air... hope to see how this all works one day.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Ideally, you won't see the beams of light.... you only see those if there's something in the beam for it to reflect off of.

Steve

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
All I asked for was sharks with fricking laser beams.....

Sea bass......riiiiiiight..........are they ill tempered?

It's a start....

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
An, an orbital welder. The place I used to work at had a cleanroom full of AMI digital orbital welders to precision weld class 10 weldments. We tooled up for 2"dia sst tubing when I left.

G

·
0 Posts
I used to work designing/servicing control systems for laser welders. They are slick and cut some precision holes as well. One of the applications was to weld titanium pacemakers shut (so they didn't leak) -- sweet seal weld.

But you won't be seeing these in most people's garages for a while -- expensive by the time you add chilling systems and 3-phase 480v power.

We did have some low-watt CO2 lasers used for cutting plastic and in medical applications (like tattoo removal) that went on like backpacks and then fed a "gun" handle. GhostBusters was the hit movie in the box-offices at the time and, well, fortunately we didn't shoot at each other!

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts