Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided that I may as well see exactly what I have, so off with the fenders, bumper and grill.

I didnt break any bolts
All 3 VINS match
No evidence of a front end collision.
No bondo in fenders
I twisted the crap out of the lower fender bolt tab on both sides, that panel will have to come off for repair.
Battery tray damage is worse than I thought
Loose bolts, missing bolts, metric bolts, wrong bolts
A tab is broke off the right headlight housing where it bolts to the grill
It will be an adventure trying to line everything back up on reassembly, it was not correct when I took it apart

In regards to the rusty V8 or rust free I6 thread, IMO this car is about as rust free as can be found unless it was a pampered car or someone already went to the trouble of rust repair.

Im not a welder, I think I will grind out the bondo, neutralize the rust and bolt in a reinforcement panel under the battery tray and leave it for now.

Im going to pull the steering column and get under the dash and look over the cowl situation.

Part of me wants to tow it into a body shop and have them repair the cowl and battery tray. Its a rust free car after those repairs.

The other part of me doesnt want to spend the money to do it.

Thats surface rust under the fender, the passenger side is worse than the driver side. Im guessing it sat under a carport for many years, passenger side to the elements.

Mystery solved, my Door tag has 9M for color, no such code. Its currently Wimbledon white, Springtime Yellow is under the fenders and inside the jambs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I thought you were considering selling the 67?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is for sale if the price is right.

I think that Im going to get the hard stuff done and give it to my SIL. The crap he puts up with, he deserves a bone now and then.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Everything is for sale if the price is right.

I think that Im going to get the hard stuff done and give it to my SIL. The crap he puts up with, he deserves a bone now and then.
We can only watch and pray!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rust is like a scab, you know not to pick at it but you cant help yourself.

I guess I could just put a piece of plywood there, paint it black, install the battery tray and pretend its not there.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well you are industrious enough, I wouldn’t be surprised to see you with a welder from HF soon and do it yourself. Keep at it, looking better!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been thinking this over the past few days.

I think I need to hire this out. The core support is thin on that side and I dont think theres enough metal to weld the apron to it.

I dont want to replace the entire apron, if I do I lose the VIN stamp. So I need to order the replacement panel and only cut out whats bad, which is about 1/4 of it.

I havent seen replacement sections for the core support, but Im cautious about cutting the entire support out to just replace the right side. So I would rather fabricate a repair panel for that as well.

I dont have the skill to do this and learn as I go and I dont want to screw up the entire front end geometry by doing a hack job.

Its only money that I cant take with me.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had pretty much the same deal on my 66, I replaced the apron and fabbed a piece for the radiator support, doesn't look real bad, you can tell its there, there are a couple of cutouts in that area, like vents, and I welded in a piece around one side of them. I did not put a battery tray back in mine.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Car looks pretty solid.. You've got a good one there. However...

"No bondo in fenders." That's not the case on the Pass. side fender...
Looks like your Pass. side fender's had some bodywork on it and got into a fender bender sometime in its past...near the door area... See Bondo strings on the backside...Kinda hard to miss...
Tony K.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I saw the bondo on closer inspection. Poor light when I first pulled them off and took a quick look.

I think that they are still worth saving vs replacing.

Im going to get them on saw horses and see what I can do on the inside and go from there.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
To be honest, apron and radiator support is the easiest welding task you could ask for...a great place to learn, well worth the few hundred you would spend on a cheap welder sufficient to the task. If you need to keep the vin stamping...you can cut it out and weld it into the new panel easily enough. Even when I couldn't weld at all(vs the mediocre welder I am now) I was able to weld in shock tower delete panels and grind down the hideous welds and the end result looked great...and that was done with a stick welder...a MIG would be far far easier for a begginer welder. Remember...you can always practice welds on the metal you cut out until you are confident....all aprons and radiator support take is plug welds anyway, no seam welding needed(except maybe for the VIN stamping, but that isnt very much anyway)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts