Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Versailles that I have already taken the front disks off of and used on my '69 (HUGE improvement). I have read about swapping the rear end into an early Stang, but what about just taking the brake assemblies off and installing on the existing 9" rear that I have in my '69? Does anyone know if this will work, difficulty, ins/outs, etc?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I do not know about swapping the assemblies to your 9 inch rear. I do know that the versaille rear is 2 inch too narrow to use on your car. Currie enterprises, and others, sell rear disk conversion kits that use the explorer rear discs. It is about $400 and is a straight bolt on. There is some specification as to large or medium bearing which I am not sure which one it fits. You might be able to sell the versaille rear for about the price of the kit depending on if you have a decent ratio 3rd member.

G

·
0 Posts
That won't work. The housing is exclusive to the Versailles and its brake components. I'm not sure if it will fit in the '69 due to spring perch width. But you could sell it to some unsuspecting sucker like I was! Damn, it's been a long road for me with the Versailles set up. I should have bought a 9 or 8 inch housing from Currie with the late model discs. If the perch width is the same, it will just give you more tire clearance. But I'll warn you ahead of time, calipers and rotors are expensive, and if you don't have ALL the E-brake parts, especially the part that bolts onto the caliper, don't even think about using it. You HAVE to use the E-brake on a regular basis to adjust the brakes, or you will destroy your expensive rotors.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was going to use the Versailles switch, Then I found out from a mechanic friend that not only are the parts hard to come by, But overly expensive. I've decided to do what somebody on the forum did with those cailper mounts from fleabay. They use readily available GM calipers and Lincon rear rotors. You use your existing parking brake cables and it looks like an easy swap.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Here are the problems you would encounter:
The Versaille is a big bearing rear end. Instead of an od of 2.835 as in your 69 (some BBs have the big brg too), the od of the bearing on the Versailles is 3.150. Also, the Versailles big bearing rear has .500 inch axle retaining bolts rather than .4375. And the axle shafts are just a bit shorter. Plus the axle retainer is the caliper backing plate.
This means:
- The caliper backing plate/seal is sized for 3.150 bearings and the large od axle shaft
- The caliper backing plate is sized for an axle housing with .500 backing plate holes and with a bolt distance of 2.375 (up and down) and 3.50 (fore and aft) on the axle retainer or bearing end (the four bolts your axle retainer/backing plate bolts to).
- The standard rear for your car is 2 (up and down) by 3.375 on the axle retainer or bearing end
- The axle is sized for a 2" narrower housing (in case you wanted to use the axle assy w/ caliper backing plate)
- The axle is too big in diameter, since it fits into a 3" diameter axle housing tube. Your tube is only 2.40.

If you want to do this, simply bolt the whole assembly in (assuming it works) and run some custom wheels with another 1 inch outboard on the offset. Leave the inboard alone. It works and looks real cool. You can get some big tires in a 69-70. The spring pad distance is the same on 65-70 (I measured them, 71-73 I haven't) as is the Versailles.
The easy way? Buy the SSBC (or other) rear conversion kit for 600.

Anybody need a spare set of Versailles backing plate/retainers? I have two. No other parts.
Will part trade plate for 13" front disc stuff.

BossBill
65 FB Restomod, Versailles w/SSBC 11.5 disc, 31 spline 4-pinion Trac-Lok, Dutchman Alloy axles, 3.50

1 - 5 of 5 Posts